01928: WDDM Charter and up-coming meeting

From: "Bruce Eggum" <bruce.eggum(at)gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 05:52:28 -0500
Subject: WDDM Charter and up-coming meeting

World Direct Democracy Movement

The officer's terms were due for new election and discussion about a definition of Direct Democracy caused much confusion in the WDDM group meeting the last couple years.

A decision was taken to "write a new charter" and that was implemented. However, it failed to produce any action or decisions. The "Board" made no input, and their decisions would have to be approved by the entire WDDM membership  under the "new" Charter. This tight control proved to be unnecessary and unrealistic to actually accomplish anything. The idea of Initiative and Binding Referendum is that anyone who disagrees with a decision, such as the Board, has the opportunity to bring their points up to the membership and if others agree, the decision can be changed by referendum. It is a method whereby people have control of their governing body IF it is necessary. It is not necessary for the whole membership to vote each month to approve the Boards meetings and every action before anything can be done. The membership has many other life tasks and my not be available to vote for months at a time.

I suggest we begin again as nothing has been accomplished for over a year.

 I hereby make the Initiative that WDDM take the original WDDM Charter and implement it. We as a group can decide to implement a Sociocracy method of decision making, or seek the necessary board members and hold an election. [that will take more Initiatives, discussion and decisions] The Sociocratic method may work well. If no objections are expressed, the decision is taken. If there are objections, the matter is discussed until the objection is no longer objectionable. The I&BR method is in the WDDM Charter if needed so we can always make any changes necessary. Presently I need two seconds on this Initiative to process it into a referendum.

The controversy over what DD is requires only reading of the original Charter. For WDDM Direct Democracy is practiced utilizing the basic Swiss method of Initiative and Binding Referendum. This is the model we must advocate and help people implement. If some have other ideas they are free to begin their own movement. WDDM must be consistent with its own Charter.

There are many reasons for the Swiss method. Many of our governments have no method for the people to alter or change anything in their government. The Swiss method is a beginning. If the Swiss method of I&BR is implemented, the people can decide if they want more control, want to take over more responsibility of government. This is the best way, as the people decide what they want and commit to do the necessary work if they want more control.

Locally, it can begin with a petition of the citizens to implement Initiative and Binding Referendum. Since this is their government the people have the power to petition and make the decision. This power was implemented by the Magna Carta.

Some have the view that the people should vote on all or many issues. Unless the people themselves decide to do this extra work, that method would result in failure. By implementing I&BR the people can learn and implement what they need as they see fit for themselves. That is democracy.

I submit my Initiative and ideas to WDDM and to George L. Kokkas WDDM Founding Spokesperson who can discuss these matters at the upcoming WDDM meeting.

With kind regards, Bruce Eggum

Bruce Eggum
Gresham Wisconsin, USA
http://www.doinggovernment.com/