01831: Re: [WDDM] Regarding the social network site

From: "Bruce Eggum" <bruceeggum(at)gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 20:25:03 -0500
Subject: Re: [WDDM] Regarding the social network site

Dear All,

My idea of WDDM is to suggest to people to develop some form of "direct democracy" which I suggest is simply the people having direct input and control of their governance.

ONE way to accomplish this follows the Swiss way which includes Initiative = the people make law, suggestions, proposals, recall etc. These Initiatives, if supported by others (petition signatures) in a predetermined amount are than sent to Referendum and if confirmed become law.

Referring to I&BR or the Swiss Way does not make the Swiss owners of this process, it is a way to speak of the process by name. Many systems use I&BR.

Kibbutz community formed it's way by holding a meeting and deciding how to run itself. This is what is needed, each community, county, state, nation holds an "Assembly" of all citizens and decides how to run itself. Forcing a community to adopt a Kibbutz or Swiss method is not the intent of WDDM. Providing information on these different methods is the goal of WDDM, not deciding what is best, worst or useful. That is to be determined only by the community's Assembly.

As to democratic process 50%+1 or consensus, that too is a decision of the community and they need to write this in their Constitution.

Georges said:

I think it's time that everybody faced reality.

Most of the contributors here seem obsessed with their own version of DD and how it should be implemented. I've probably been guilty of it myself.

Let's rid ourself of the myth that Switzerland has the only model worth emulating.

Bruce Eggum
Gresham Wisconsin, USA

vote