01818: Re: [WDDM] Regarding the social network site

From: Georges Metanomski <zgmet(at)yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 05:44:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [WDDM] Regarding the social network site

--- ROY DAINE <rdaine(at)btinternet.com> wrote:

I also fundamentally disagree with the decision of
a kibbutz to stop eating meat, based on a majority
decision.

Deciding what people should eat, other than in an
extreme situation , where the survival of the
society is in jeopardy, is and should not be the
province of government. That really is an example of
'tyranny of the majority'.
===========================
G:
Misunderstanding. Nothing to do with any kibbutz.
It happened in a Britanny fishermen village, where
several youngsters concerned by the global problems
formed a discussion group investigating among others
the pollution and the 3d World starvation.

The outcome of the discussion pointed to meat
consumption as being by far the most important
source of both problems.

Being sincere, they decided to stop contributing
to both disasters and to give up meat.

Nobody forced anybody and there was no "government"
involved.

Everybody is free to give up smoking, right? But
there, the governments exercises strong pressure and
nobody seems to protest. Now, our discussion appeared
to show that meat is, globally seen, by orders of
magnitude more noxious than smoking. So why should
a few sincere youngsters have not the right to
give it up?

The whole meant as example of sincerity: If you find
something wrong, don't just accuse others, but give
it up in your own life.

Georges.