01777: Re: [WDDM] Regarding the social network site

From: Georges Metanomski <zgmet(at)yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 04:09:51 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [WDDM] Regarding the social network site

--- Bruce Eggum <bruceeggum(at)gmail.com> wrote:

It is really how the community "decides" to do
things which is "direct
democracy".

WDDM can offer examples and information about all
these different ways, but
the community must choose it's way which may be a
combination of these or
none of the above. We are not to decide this is THE
way, simply exemplify
these are some ways which are being used. Georges
model lacks the initial
steps to accomplish his suggested way.
===============
G:
The only detail I disagree with in your excellent
post.
My "Shadow Parliament" is NOT a model, but precisely
a suggestion of, IMO inescapable, initial steps
leading to DD, viz.
1.Getting a Shadow Parliament within the Particracy.
2.Establish a logistic 3 Functions support.
3.Propound Sincerity, which appears to be the
critical condition of DD.
A particular model will be conceived, debated and
implemented by the community, once it arrives at
the DD, if ever.
Each Kibbutz has its own model, usually different
from other ones.
My suggested way boils down to creating kibbutz-like
small communities and extend them progressively to
the national scope.

This being said, I thank you for your excellent post,
from which I learned a lot, as it gives mainly the
external view and I was concerned mostly with Kibbutz
internals and their external impact. Let me just
mention two issues: 1.self-fulfillment,
2.unselfishness.

Self-fulfillment.
Job may be a constraint, even if in a kibbutz you
can largely choose it and get one corresponding to
your personality. However, once your daily job
finished, you are free to self-fulfill yourself to
a degree unimaginable for outsiders. You never get
a bill, if your roof leaks it's repaired without
you being bothered in any way and, in general, you
don't have any problems else than existential ones.
You may get sick and will eventually die. However,
even that will be for your children only a personal
blow, but will in no way impair their future, which
is taken care of by the kibbutz. In Bruce's post
the concert halls and swimming pools looked a bit
like luxuries offered for passive enjoyment.
Actually, they are mainly used by internal musicians
and training sportsmen. There are more intellectuals,
artists and hobbyist per head in kibbutzim, than
anywhere else. Just one example of self-fulfillment:
3-5% of kibbutz population provides 90% of fighter
pilots. Now, the selection of Israeli fighter pilots
is by far the toughest in the world both physically
and psychically.

Unselfishness.
Bruce's post concentrates mainly on getting (the
quality of life, enjoyment and even luxury).
Actually, in the kibbutzim Give outweighs by far the
Get. By jobs distribution the motivation is mainly
"what can I best contribute", much before "what I
would enjoy". The kibutznik's abnegation of personal
well-being
and even life created Israel and keeps it afloat.
A single Kibbutz Yad Mordechai stopped the whole
Egyptian army in 1948.
Many kibutzniks work outside, like about 30% of my
colleagues teaching at the Haifa Uni. Their salaries,
royalties, etc. go to kibbutz, which provides them
with modest flats and what nots necessary to carry out
the job. As curiosity I'll mention the event of having

been served in a canteen of a Neguev kibbutz by Golda
Meir, then Israeli Prime Minister. Member of the
Kibutz, she spent her leisure time at home, taking in
turn such tasks as were available for intermittent
presence. Her PM pay and extras went to the Kibbutz,
which provided her with a two room flat in a social
house and the smallest Renault car. She was of course
occasionally picked up with government's limousines,
but her private life ran along the lines of an elderly
single woman of the people.
Whatever DD may be, we will never IMO get there,
before we all, including the highest appointed
responsibles, get that mentality.

To finish, I hate ad personam addressing, whether
negative, or positive, endeavoring to comment
assertions. I shall contradict this principle by
telling you, Bruce, ad personam, that it's more
gratifying to disagree with you than to agree with
many others.

Georges.
==================

RE Kibbutz, they are "evolving" and followed what we
knew as "tribal ways"
many many years ago. They too will "evolve" perhaps
discarding some of the
good ways as we did.

There are some aspects which could be utilized such
as cooperatives.
However, the dynamics of decision making leaves the
same old problems of
power. "Group" or large family's may control
decisions. The psychological
damage is unnecessary. Than too, Kibbutz are moving
toward capitalistic ways
unfortunately, as a more social method could be
better. Bruce

Children were brought up communally in age groups,
away from their parents.
One age group would progress from creche to nursery
to school and so on,
living together during the week and seeing their
parents, and perhaps living
with them, only at weekends.

This may have freed both parents for work and
defence in the initial
struggle for survival. But the practice was
continued when successful,
possibly to free women for work and so increase
production. But it was done
at the expense of the family.

Of any group in the country, the kibbutz children
consequently showed the
highest incidence of mental problems. The kibbutzim
have had to backtrack
and now give their children a more normal and
strengthening family-life
experience with their parents.

Kibbutzim now own and operate factories, hotels and
restaurants, and much
else. Degania, for example, has a factory with an
annual turnover of about
USD 15 million which provides roughly 75 per cent of
its income. {KIB 02}

And kibbutzim are successful. Three per cent of
Israel's population, about
125,000 people, live in 270 kibbutzim ranging in
size from say 200 to 2,000
members. They produce something like 50 per cent of
Israel's agricultural
produce and about 9 per cent of its industrial
goods.

ORGANISATION AND DECISION-TAKING

All are equal regardless of the work done and all
share equally in the work
to be done, the available services and the
democratic management of the
kibbutz.

Decisions are made jointly by the General Assembly
of all kibbutz members.
The General Assembly decides policy and allocates
responsibilities (work) to
individual members by electing managers and
assigning work.

One member could, for example, be given
responsibility for work scheduling
and for allocating work to individual members. Such
work in larger kibbutzim
could also be handled by committees whose members
are also elected by the
General Assembly, the chairperson often doing this
work full time.

Members occupy their role for a limited period, say
one or two years, often
full time in larger kibbutzim, and jobs (roles) are
rotated.

The functions covered in such ways are the usual
ones found in any
enterprise or community and can vary from kibbutz to
kibbutz. Finance,
transport, health, short-term and long-term
planning, social and cultural
activities, communal dining, laundry, creche
facilities, and so on.

Decision-taking by the General Assembly can involve
heated argument,
infighting between factions and marshalling of
support. Suppose money is
limited, a tractor has to be bought and only one
child can be sent to study
at university, both fees and maintenance being
required. One child out of
two and your child is one of the two. Such problems
can prove very divisive
within such a close community.

SUCCESS AND WEALTH

The success of the kibbutzim became a byword in
Israel. Agriculture in
Israel was more capital intensive than in the USA.
While urban life was
tough and insecure in a taxing climate, kibbutz
members had a secure and
high standard of living and a good quality of life.

Life on a prosperous kibbutz includes its cultural
centre or concert hall,
use of swimming pool and tennis courts, film shows,
lectures and concerts.
<2>

As an open-air swimming pool was replaced by an even
bigger one, as a new
concert hall was built, as factories were started
and outside labour was
employed, the rest of Israel saw them as living in a
'paradise on earth', as
a 'community of millionaires'. And there are many
struggling Israelis who
see kibbutz wealth and life-style as the result of
state handouts.

How come? And what does the future hold? So let us
look in a little more
detail at what actually happened.

The kibbutzim were backed and supported by
world-wide Jewish communities.
Much if not most of the money was channelled through
the Jewish Agency
(Sochnut) which financed, or else provided, water
supplies, electric power,
roads and capital for land (when required), housing,
equipment, machinery,
livestock.

Here are some simple figures {KIB 04}:

Take agriculture. Take the year 1975. In that year
alone farmers received
USD 130 million <3> in unlinked loans, about 83 per
cent of the total
investment in agriculture. 'A good part of these
loans were given by the
Jewish Agency, for the traditional 50 years at 2 per
cent, unlinked of
course, and with a grace period <4> of 20 years'.

At Israeli inflation rates of about 40 per cent each
year all the loans
mentioned are practically wiped out in seven years,
never mind 50 years. The
loans were, for all practical purposes, free gifts
to agricultural
settlements <5>.

Kibbutzim received unlinked fifty-year loans with
repayment starting after
ten or twenty years. At interest rates far below
rate of inflation, the
amounts being paid back to the Sochnut were
negligible compared with the
loans received, in effect a free gift.

The success and wealth of kibbutzim resulted from
large capital sums
provided without strings by world-wide Jewish
communities at considerable
hardship to the communities.

=== message truncated ===