01734: Re: [WDDM] Getting the whole picture about DD

From: "Bruce Eggum" <bruceeggum(at)gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 01:18:14 -0500
Subject: Re: [WDDM] Getting the whole picture about DD

I agree PVR,

The intent and task of WDDM was simple. Describe Swiss style I&R DD so people could see the need for it and than could begin to install it in THEIR community, state, national governments.

"We dedicate ourselves to work toward the introduction of Direct Democracy (DD) into the representative systems, through Citizens Initiatives and Referendums, and, ultimately, transform them peacefully to true democracies of the people."

That is all WDDM is to do. WDDM can not tell any entity how to run their community. WDDM can only suggest they incorporate I&R DD. If we do that (a big task) we will have accomplished much.

As Antonio points out, the people must REALIZE they NEED I&R DD. We are the "sales persons".  If we raise some money we could make video, television adds, handouts, cover the media.
All the Best, Bruce
ps (we cannot do it ALL.)

http://www.world-wide-democracy.net/archive/original_wddm/OriginalFoundingDoc.html

This is an edited version of WDDM's Founding Documents. Only a few grammatical corrections were made by M. Kolar, which do not alter the meaning of the documents.

Any part of these Documents can be changed, deleted, or new clauses added any time, as stated in the 'Rules'.

FOUNDING DOCUMENTS
WORLDWIDE DIRECT DEMOCRACY MOVEMENT, WDDM

PREAMBLE
We, members of the Continuing International Congress on Direct Democracy (CICDD) decided during our second Congress in Delphi, Greece, the birthplace of democracy, to establish a formal Worldwide Direct Democracy Movement.

We dedicate ourselves to work toward the introduction of Direct Democracy (DD) into the representative systems, through Citizens Initiatives and Referendums, and, ultimately, transform them peacefully to true democracies of the people.

We pledge ourselves to remain faithful to genuine democratic principles as expressed in our Mission Statement. We aim to inspire others to join us and help to develop principles and methods leading to direct democracy (DD) of the people. We have been and will remain dedicated members of CICDD and share our ideals and proposals with all participants in the Network, individuals, and families.

On 27 Mar 2008 04:53:12 -0000, Vijayaraghavan Padmanabhan <vijayaraghavan.p(at)rediffmail.com> wrote:
Martin,
I think that what you want to say is that the public would accept change in only small increments. You are right and to say that the Swiss System is to be aimed at is also fine since it is easily understandable and a practical reality.

But replication of that system in other countries would be possible only if that system is understood in its entirety including how it came into being and how it is being sustained. Hence we need to define and delineate the strategy to make it into a reality.

PVR

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 13:24:47 +1030 wddm@world-wide-democracy.net wrote

PVR, I find what you say very clear, and makes a lot of sense, one thing
that is clear is it seems impossible to find an argued position for WDDM, but
another thing that is certain,is the public will only except limit change, and
the Swiss System would present that, plus it is a system in operation.
Martin