01453: Re: [WDDM] Anarchism and Direct Democracy

From: Antonio Rossin <rossin(at)tin.it>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 09:01:51 +0200
Subject: Re: [WDDM] Anarchism and Direct Democracy

Dear Mirek,

I just asked a Greek friend for the the definition of an-archy.

An- meansd "absence"

-archy means something like "power". The "archon" is the person
in power, a leader indeed. A military commander too. But also
the government.

Therefore, in good substance, the anarchists should be people
who do not want to be ruled by any leader. This is why I still
wonder how the anarchists - according with the above definition -
could act as a group, since any group or collectivity to be such
MUST gather around a leader, a flag carrier pointing out what
is the collective direction the ordered group shall follow.

In other words, "anarchists" are people who do not want to
undergo any definition, as any definition is a rule...

Antonio -- still waiting for a convened definition of the word anarchy.

M. Kolar ha scritto:
Dear Antonio,
IMHO, the original Greek meaning is not "absence of a leadership"
but "absence of rulers", with the meaning "no special ruling class
above the ruled ones".
Mirek

Antonio Rossin wrote:
Therefore, in a lack of such an agreement of a shared meaning,
I shall use the other tools at my disposal, in order to check out
what meaning I have to apply to the word. In this case, the tool
I have is its etymology, as the word "anarchy" has a precise one,
from the Greek, which stands for "absence of a leadership".
Please correct me if I were imprecise.