01414: Re: [WDDM] organization

From: Georges Metanomski <zgmet(at)yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 01:21:44 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [WDDM] organization

--- Bruce Eggum <bruceeggum(at)gmail.com> wrote:

BE:
Dear Georges and all,

Frightful good lot here to consider.

Perhaps we can find one subject to continue on
another thread as this one
large.

I agree with you on Wind now. Wind may be ok or
perhaps a good thing in
small local home applications like the old water
windmill, but these gross
turbines are another matter.
G:
Very gratifying, thanks.

In this Windmill inference chain we have seen several
drawbacks of different importance. There is cost,
there are nuisances and dangers, but we could argue
that it's a worth while prise to pay for cleaning a
bit of pollution and getting a bit of sustainable
energy. Yet the critical, decisive drawback is
precisely that Wind energy taken integrally is
polluting and depletable. Both due to the unique
factor, its intermittency necessitating reserves.

Now, a farmer who constructs a small Windmill driving
some old car dynamo, does not use its output directly,
but, like in a car, charges batteries, which provide
the energy for the farm. He creates his own reserves
and uses them as buffer between the intermittent
source impossible to synchronise directly with farm's
usage. Such local Windmill provides free, sustainable
energy for the farm and clears a small bit of
pollution, but a small bit is always a small bit.
A local Windmill is excellent from all points of view.

If we had batteries capable to support such a
buffer at the global, or continental level, the Wind
problem would change from noxious fraud to an option
open to cost/benefit analysis.

But we don't have them and intermittent industrial
sources interacting directly with the network stay
noxious frauds.

The same concerns the Solar Energy. Used for heating
it's most advisable, as the warmed up water provides
the reserves buffer. On the contrary, the Photovoltaic
directly producing electricity and interacting with
the network is a noxious stupidity.

But one should never condemn things generally, nor by
analogy or similitude. I know a large Wind Farm of
big industrial turbines, which seems positive from
all points of view, having, of course, its own
reserves.

Some Third World Assistance organization installed
it in Mongolia, in the middle of thousands km of
nothing. A community which never saw electric light,
got equipped with all essential modern appliances,
all staying within the scope of a large battery
device. The life of these people changed dramatically
and, whatever the enemies of modern gadgets may say,
the change met with uniform satisfaction.

What seems to me particularly pertinent for us, is
a link between this project and the Sincerity, which
I consider as the first necessary condition of DD.
(see
http://findgeorges.com/ROOT/WRITINGS/POLITICS/shadow_eng.html

).

Wind Energy was not imposed on them but they accepted
and welcomed it unanimously, committing themselves
to a rather strict discipline in using it. A few
were trained to control the system and upon their
warning that batteries go down and no wind in offing,
people spontaneously shut down the consuming devices
in prescribed order of powerful and superfluous, so
that fridges may run as long as possible, usually
till the wind is back.

The DD implication is that IMO DD starts, when we vote
not for what our whim happens to be, but for things
that will, often adversely, impact our private lives,
when we commit ourselves to follow majority decisions
and when we stick to the commitment, whatever private
sacrifices it involves.

Georges