01391: Re: [WDDM] Simpol and True Democracy

From: Antonio Rossin <rossin(at)tin.it>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 01:29:01 +0200
Subject: Re: [WDDM] Simpol and True Democracy

Dear PVR,

It seems to me, your model meets two main prerequisites
of democracy:

1. Policies must be territory-linked, thus be originated
bottom-up locally;

2. People must awarely question their officials and-or
representatives, and wield the control power over them.

Obviously, the people shall have a devoted place where they
can express themselves. WDDM could provide this place.
Accordingly, I will be glad to share-in with my membership fee.

Thanks,

antonio

Vijayaraghavan Padmanabhan ha scritto:

Dear Antonio and all,
I have indicated in the course of several of my posts how
a conscience-based political system can be ushered in.
In fact WDDM has helped in improvising the original plan
I have mentioned in my blog:
http://musingsonpartylessdemocracy.blogspot.com .
But let me update and summarize here what I have in mind:

1) The model of Roy Baine's www.myverdict.net is a good
starting point. He has painstakingly collected names of about
140 countries, the primary divisions (states) of each of these
countries and the secondary divisions of each of these primary
divisions. Any person on earth belonging to one of these
localities can thus express himself regarding matters concerning
his/her area. I would suggest that we prepare a similar list but
the names should be that of the constituencies at the state,
district and sub-district levels so that the views expressed by
voters of a particular constituency can consolidate and pave
the way for action at the local level, either directly or through
pressure exerted on the elected representative of that constituency
(in terms of the prospects of him getting reelected or recalled if
such a law is eventually passed). An example of exerting pressure
of similar nature being already tried is given in the following link:
http://www.alliance21.org/2003/article.php3?id_article=2455

Thus WDDM can be a platform for people to make their voice
heard. The members who register themselves at WDDM can
express on what they they would like to see happening with
respect to their locality/state/nation on issues that concern them.
Similarly they can express dissatisfaction on issues that affect them.
Thus the individual's conscience is made the centre of all activity
and not the views of a small minority belonging to the political
or other elite classes.

2) In order to add weightage to the views of the people it should
be made clear that if the members of a particular area feel that the
elected representatives are failing in their task, then the voters
would join together in the next ensuing election to campaign for
the candidate (either an independent or belonging to a political
party that believes in conscience-based governance) whom they
believe would seriously take note of the people's views expressed
on the WDDM (and other such platforms).

3) Eventually the above steps can lead to a situation where
'conscience-based governance' through 'partyless mechanism
within the elected house' can be made into a law if the people
so desire. The political parties would still exist but would be
confined to promoting their particular ideology outside the
elected house, having no role in actual governance.

The above step wise approach would allow freedom of
thought to the people and would allow increasing degree
of activism towards truer democracy depending on the
need of the locality and the way the political parties respond
to the challenge. Political parties and independent politicians
would find that getting themselves registered at the WDDM
and adopting the principle of 'conscience-based governance'
would be advantageous to them. NGOs fighting for various
social causes would find that supporting the WDDM by
registering themselves in it would be of great help in
promoting their respective causes.

The global approach of WDDM would be an advantage
since the possible down-side of adopting 'conscience-based
governance' to individual national economies in terms of
losing competitiveness would be balanced by similar changes
occurring everywhere. The global approach naturally would
add to the appeal and credibility of 'conscience-based
governance' to the common man.

There is vast scope of further refinement of the above
proposal. I&R Tools like Enitiative can be integrated to
facilitate deliberation and decision making by the people.

I will post this under the proposal forum for what it is worth.

PVR

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 Antonio Rossin wrote :

Vijayaraghavan Padmanabhan ha scritto:

Dear Antonio and all,
I have also adopted Simpol even before becoming a member of WDDM.
The only problem I have with Simpol is that it deals with the problem of
climate change (as well as others) at the 'tip of the ice-berg'
level, whereas
the fundamental reason for these problems to have occurred in the first
place (being the lack of true democracy) is ignored. I had a discussion
with John Bunzl regarding this and he feels that Simpol cannot deal with
this issue though there could be synergism with a organization that
deals
with it.

Dear PVR

I also had discussion with JB regarding the roots for these problems,
that
are the lack of true democracy. He seems like disliking such deepenings.
My opinion is, his is a shyness in facing the representative
establishment,
as if, to Simpol to be up, no change of the current (undemocratic) system
were necessary, and the attempts towards increasing people's democratic
awareness were all disturbing noises, that might slow -- if not stop
-- the
course of SP. In one only word, JB's Simpol is a totalitarian project.

Which totalitarian attitude could be successful, at least
theoretically. Who
knows? Only the time passing can tell us whether JB is right or wrong.
In the meantime, I support him honestly and reasonably.
JB is doing his play, which is fair play: if there were synergy, he
thanks.
As for democratic co-operation, that is another kettle of fish.

Several people and organizations, including the members of the WDDM,
have made worthwhile suggestions for ushering in True Democracy.
What is needed now is to have an open mind and allow things to
crystallize
into an effective action plan.

Agreed. Yet there are WDDM members whose action plan is turning WDDM
into a
bureaucratic cage of mandatory democratic rules, as if the target --
the people --
were eager of being caught inside. Which ushering is not taken for
granted,
rather the contrary, if the people were still lacking of the needed
'conscience'.

The problem with the current DD methods is that they depend on the
government of the day to adopt them. On the other hand we need to be
more pro-active like Simpol and visualize a system where people, using
their constitutional right to vote, can force governments to adopt truer
democracy methods. The 'conscience-based' political system, which I
have been suggesting, fulfils this need.

Regards,

PVR

Please give me (again?) the link of your document - proposal.

Regards,

antonio

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 Antonio Rossin wrote :
Hi PVR,

I totally agree on your point of view. This is why I've become a
Simpol adopter, and a supporter of people's greatest sharing-in to
democracy.

About Simpol: www.simpol.org .

Regards,

antonio

Vijayaraghavan Padmanabhan ha scritto:

Dear Antonio and Giorgio,
The exchanges between you have been interesting to read. Basically
the present situation of excessive use of world's oil resources
and the
consequent global warming reaching alarming proportions, can be
controlled - provided if we understand what propels such a process.

It is the run away success of business establishments in the present
day world aided by a faulty political system that is responsible. The
party-based political system is amenable to manipulation by business
intersts, which set the politico-economic agenda of nations. The
people
are also carried away by the way of life being projected by such
interests. In their heart they may be in favour of a more placid
life style.
But such preferences are over-shadowed by the prevailing agenda set
by business interests.

A truer democracy, if it can be established, will counter the
business
interests at a fundamental level. Thus there is a link between global
warming, depleting oil resources and the kind of democracy that is
prevailing. As I have mentioned before, if a conscience-based
democracy
can be ushered in at the global level, it can counter the process
of global
warming. A strange statement at first sight, but it is true.

Regards,

PVR