01340: Re: [WDDM] Anti-Semitism

From: Giorgio Menon <giorgio.menon(at)pd.infn.it>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 08:22:18 +0200
Subject: Re: [WDDM] Anti-Semitism

Mark Antell, editor CitizenPowerMagazine.net wrote:

My goodness, conversation on the WDDM board has taken on a
disappointing tone.

Hi Mark,
is a disappointing tone a threat to the survival of this list? I think
that as long as they stay inside the decency of offering different
viewpoints, disagreements should always be tolerated, no matter how
disappointing they are.

. And Giorgio Menon espousing the equation: Zionism=Racism.

Where did you read this? I have NEVER talked about Zionism, which is a
conspiracy theory term. Although i'm interested in those theories i like
to discuss them in appropriate places- this not being one.

Well, here’s my reactions

To Giorgio Menon: Of course it’s ok to criticise the government of
Israel....occupation of Gaza and West Bank, repeated invasions of
Lebanon, etc. But challenging Israel’s existence? That’s not nice. It
is, in fact, anti-semitic.
/Please, please tell me I’ve missed the point. For example, perhaps
you’re against something you call ‘Zionism.’ But you’re ok on Israel’s
existence as a Jewish-majority State. /
The Palestinians need a State; the Israeli Jews need a State. Self
determination for all people. Isn’t that a fundamental concept?

Absolutely. Now tell me: what do you think about a State that
confiscates the assets of another "state" and puts in jail most members
of that parliament? Is this a minor problem compared to silly
declarations and launches of missiles? I don't think so.
The ME issue is definately too complex, and, although utterly
interesting for the possible outcomes it offers, i don't think we have
enough interest and resources to face it. But we might well decide so,
in which case i'd gladly offer my contribution.
All i wanted to say is that sticking the label of antisemitism to anyone
who's simply bringing the facts to the readers is not fair.
It's a fact that the Palestinians have regularly elected Hamas leaders
to represent them in their parliament and it's a fact that most of them
are now in the Israeli jails for retaliation. And for the same reason
the funds (Palestinian taxes) needed to run the Palestinian government
have been confiscated by Israel.
Given that Hamas has a strong presence between Palestinians it would be
wise if they could switch from open terrorism against Israel to a more
political presence in the area, exactly what happened in Ireland with
IRA and in Spain with ETA. This is what the Italian Foreign Minister was
suggesting. Of course this move requires first an international
acknowledgement of Hamas and the creation of a net of international
relationships that can bring their politics inside the limits of the
acceptable.
Does this all sound as antisemitism or rage against alleged Zionism,
Mark Antell?

Regards

Giorgio