01315: Re: Re: [WDDM] Re: Conscience

From: "Vijayaraghavan Padmanabhan" <vijayaraghavan.p(at)rediffmail.com>
Date: 16 Jul 2007 14:01:51 -0000
Subject: Re: Re: [WDDM] Re: Conscience

Dear Mark, Mirek and all,
Elaborating on my previous post, a person can be said to have acted according to his/her conscience if what he thinks or does comes fom the heart and is thus beneficial as much to the people around him as to himself.

Based on this concept, we can create structures that allow people to express what they would like the authorities to do in their area of living and what they wouldn't like to see happening. (a particular person can give his idea on issues of concern to him pertaining to the local/state/national/international levels). This will create a body of opinion which the elected representative of that area would be well advised to take note of. Things are already happening in this direction as pointed out by Mirek in his post: Participative budget coming to the UK. However we should not feel that we are still stuck up with our structural issues and have done nothing so far. The spirit is important and progress of true democracy anywhere should be a reason to rejoice.

We can add impetus to such developments by developing DD mechanisms in a systematic manner on a world wide scale. Roy Baine's www.myverdict.com provides a model where people from any nation on earth can express their opinion on matters concerning the local, state, national and international levels.

However political parties can create road blocks to such activities that tend to take away power away from them. To counter this possibility we can inform that eventually the WDDM believes in the concept of 'Partyless Governance' within the elected house. This would force the political parties to take matters seriously as otherwise the people who have used WDDM to express their views would be well placed to vote for the person who has pledged his support to the spirit of WDDM (independent or belonging to the party which supports WDDM) enhancing his chances of winning. Thus invoking 'Partyless Governance' will act as a catalyst for change. Eventually if the political parties become truly democratic and accept methods of DD increasingly without hesitation, then the goal might be achieved even without 'Partyless Governance' becoming actually a reality. But this is unlikely and the trump card of 'Partyless Governance' needs to be kept as a catalyst for change.

All that has been said above would be meaningful if it is made clear that the people are required to act upon their conscience and nothing more. WDDM can thus act as the facilitator for _expression_ of the individual's conscience. There is no complicated thinking involved here and such an approach should be appealing to the common man.

Thus making conscience as the theme of WDDM immdiately connects it to the heart of the people and allows them express themselves. Structures can thus be built around the concept of conscience, which allow _expression_ of the heart and the mind in that order. The values of truth, justice, peace and freedom can be ushered in at the global level.

PVR