01312: Re: Conscience

From: "Mark Antell, editor CitizenPowerMagazine.net" <citizenp(at)citizenpowermagazine.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:10:16 -0400
Subject: Re: Conscience

PVR,

We've often not agreed on political theory.  However, I agree with your statement about conscience and the universality of conscience.  I share a couple of relevant quotations below:

"We are caught in an inescapable mutuality tied in a single garment of destiny.  Whatever affects one directly affects all indirectly." (M. L. King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail)
(I believe that this statement means that turning ones head does not diminish ones experience of the human condition but rather renders it incomprehensible.)

and

"We all want to help one another.  Human beings are like that."  (Charlie Chaplin, the Hope Speech in The Great Dictator.)

Mark Antell

------------------

Vijayaraghavan Padmanabhan wrote:

Dear Mirek and all,
We are all in the quest for a Truer Democracy. If there is no doubt about this goal and if we are united in spirit regarding this goal then an appropriate structure to achieve this goal should fall in place without difficulty. Unfortunately while seeking to design a structure for a complex task, the spirit itself is frequently forgotten and we tend to get lost in complicated details.

We need to have an open mind if an appropriate structure is to fall in place. The basic problem with the prevailing kind of democracy is that it seeks to limit itself within defined structures like political parties. However good such a structure may be, once there is curbing of freedom of _expression_, it soon degenerates into a manipulative mechanism. Still we need a structure for deliberations. We need structures that allows _expression_ of every human point of view and yet that _expression_ is self-regulated to fit into the requirements of the society.

We have such a self-regulating mechanism within each one of us and it is called 'conscience'. Unfortunately this 'conscience' has nearly been forgotten since we are preoccupied with the fancies and capabilities of the mind. Conscience arises from the 'heart'. If all the affairs of the world are based on conscience then life would be much simpler.

The methods of DD like I&R allow _expression_ of the individual's preference, but it is the individual's conscience that motivates him. We need to recognize this basic point. Instead, the use of the word conscience is almost a taboo in today's world and it is looked down upon as being 'moralistic'. On the other hand it is a basic reality of every person's life. While WDDM has been trying to usher in I&R as a basic strategy, it has in fact been advocatoing _expression_ of the individual's conscience in matters of governance. The mechanism of 'partyless governance' that I have been advocating, puts this conscience as the focalpoint to usher in truer democracy.

The world today is dangerously divided. In a way this is inevitable since the world today is governed by structures designed by the dictates of the mind. Even though ideas of different people differ widely, the basic motivation arises from the individual's conscience. The heart of every person basically seeks peace, love, justice and freedom. If the preferences of the heart are allowed to express themselves through the consscience, then it will achieve what it seeks. But the human tendency is to forget the heart and become enslaved to the mind.

If conscience-based politics is ushered in at the global level, then instead of getting divided and more complicated, structures would be ushered in that would tend to integrate the world and conflict resolution would be a natural consequence.

The WDDM in quest of Truer Democracy, should make concience-based politics as its central theme. I hope members would agree on this broad philosophy. It will be obvious that it will be inappropriate to put this proposal under the existing procedural rule since it appeals to the heart rather than the mind.

I believe that the entire WDDM should be redesigned to allow _expression_ of both the heart and the mind in that order.

PVR