01252: RE: Re: [WDDM] Proposal

From: "Nicolas Durand" <nicolas(at)enitiatives.ch>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 21:53:19 +0200
Subject: RE: Re: [WDDM] Proposal

Dear PVR and Bruce,

I’d like to react to 2 things.

First, a point of detail: Bruce says “The Swiss make their Constitution, not the parties or any part of the government”. I believe that this is quite wrong. You could say “The Swiss CAN make their Constitution”. But many changes to constitutions (at federal and cantonal level) are actually TRIGGERED by the governments (=the parties), and accepted – or not – by the people, the Swiss. IMHO, the Swiss will NOT drop the political parties. But they are VERY attached to their I&R rights.

Second, a point that is a little deeper: I think that partyless governance, in or in the elected house(s) is an interesting long-term thinking and talking subject, but that is WAY beyond anything we can actually DO today. If I may suggest one thing, it is that we define a few realistic goals (like e.g. I&R – in my opinion the most important, and then electronic debate, if not voting) and start really working on it (implementation within WDDM, education, “evangelism”, etc.). We are too few and have too little time right now to think about things that people can not even conceive! Just go around and ask people if they would like to drop political parties – most will tell you that parties are necessary, be it in or out of the house (most will not even be able to conceive that parties could exist, but not be elected as such in the house). In Europe, parties are part of the political life. Asking people to ban them, wherever it is, would be like telling them that the planet is getting warmer and they need to leave their car in the garage 3 days per week – this is absolutely unconceivable for 99% of the population.

Nico