01183: Re: [WDDM] WDDM BoardElections results

From: "M. Kolar" <wddm(at)mkolar.org>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 03:52:09 -0700
Subject: Re: [WDDM] WDDM BoardElections results

Dear Nicolas,
1. Because our executive board has no decision power, the details of
the election process were not very important at this moment. More
important is the willingness of the candidates to serve on the Board.
Rotation of all WDDM members on the Board would be a better method in
ideal circumstance. Because this is the first Board, I saw the election
more as a community building exercise, as a way of making sure that the
people who will be starting the whole process have enough trust among
the members. Also as an opportunity to introduce the Range Voting.
2. Criticism of some organizational problems is justified and
registered. A reminder was actually sent to all 3 days before the end of
voting in which all additional candidates, except for the last one, were
already listed. One improvement was already made: when an additional
(write-in) candidate is added, all WDDM members are immediately notified
by e-mail and invited to possibly adjust their vote.
3. With only 6 voters, any method would give results that vary quite
a lot if a vote is changed somewhat. (And so because of the lower voter
turnout, the demonstration of Range Voting sort of backfired.)
4. Range voting is really OK as it was implemented, with Average
Rating and the Quorum. (Remember that you yourself use in Enitiative.org
Average Rating in range voting with 6-point scale, 0 to 5. 0 to 99 scale
is much better than that). The fact that all voters voted for a
candidate does not mean that he must win. If all of them disliked him,
they would give him a 0, and so he would end up last with no points at
all. Average Rating is needed because people are encourage to vote No
Opinion on all candidates they they do not know. Quorum is necessary to
make sure that only candidates who are known to a large number of voters
are elected. Your 2 "friends" would hardly be able to win already with
10 voters participating
I do not want to repeat here all the arguments for range voting in
detail. You can find them all extensively explained at
http://rangevoting.org
5. I envision using the Range Voting here at WDDM more for
determining common positions of issues.

Mirek

Nicolas Durand wrote:

Dear all,

I’ve been away from an internet connection for 10 days now and
discover these results and would like to make a few humble comments.

1) this “Range voting” is a little confusing, especially with this
small number of participants, especially if people are allowed to
register after the start of elections, especially if the winners are
the ones with the highest “Average rating” and not the “Sum” for a
number of reasons:

a) someone who had LESS votes than another can be elected at his
place, e.g. Richard Moore or Miroslav, who were elected, even though
George had more votes (as given below). In fact, 6 people (everybody)
voted FOR George, and still, he comes third-last…

b) 2 “friends” could come first a the elections: they just had to
register just before the deadline and vote for each other: they would
have had 198 points (2x99), which is about the quorum and an average
rating of 99.

c) This brings me to the next item: by giving 1 “point” to
someone, you actually put him down (by lowering his average). This
might be a technique, but needs to be explicated very clearly to avoid
people thinking “I’ll give him just some points, but not too many”.
Actually, in this case, anyone giving less than 62 points (the lowest
average of the top 3) has put this candidate DOWN. Not very logic in
my opinion.

2) In my eyes, the whole voting process and timeline needs to be
revisited. I did not vote (partly because I was away for 10 days,
which virtually never happens, but still, in a real democracy,
everyone should be able to vote). This is certainly not to dismiss
Mirek’s great job of putting this together; it is just to improve the
process, especially from a frustrated voter who could not vote… ;)

The fact that only 6 people (is that really so?) voted, which is
**less** than the number of candidates (8) is quite significant… ;)

Suggested improvements:

a. Announce the voting period well in advance (e.g. “Voting will
be from May 9 to May 18, midnight Pacific time”), so that people can
make sure they don’t miss it. I would give at least 2 weeks of voting
time, to allow people to be away of an internet connection for a few
days without too much stress.

b. The subject of the email announcing the vote must be extremely
clear. This one was “Latest news from WDDM”. It should be “WDDM –
Elections are now open!”

c. All material (Candidate names, voting period and methods,
etc.) must be in this email

d. One reminder should come after one week. Another one should
come 24h before elections close.

These were my 2 cents… I hope this helps.

Take care,

Nico