01145: Re: Regarding rule by representatives

From: echarp <emmanuel.charpentier(at)free.fr>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 10:42:57 +0200
Subject: Re: Regarding rule by representatives

+1

Yes, this is quite alike DDD, yes. And yes, it should be transitive.

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 04:50:29PM +0200, Nicolas Durand wrote:
3. X (and T) can see (could even be notified) what Y has voted and override
it at will. Y should NOT know about it (to keep the secrecy of the vote).

I disagree on that point. The only way to reach any sort of confidence
in an electronic vote is to make it transparent. Transparent enough to
be able to reproduce it in real time.

Thus, Y would know exactly who has delegated their vote to him.

But this option needs to be used carefully, for 2 reasons:
a) one could create dummy members/citizens, and hence multiply his voting
power very easily

Electoral list :) Handled according to any criteria an electoral list
manager wants.

In an electronic setting, there is no need to restrict the number of
electoral lists against which the results can be calculated.

Interesting thing, although the voting system itself must be
transparent, a person on an electoral list could be a pseudonym, with no
public link with his real identity!

b) the system must make sure (in the real world) that some people do not BUY
(or extort any other way) votes from others.

This is a possibility, yes. But I'm not sure this is really a problem.

echarp - http://leparlement.org