01112: Re: WDDM Board

From: "Bruce Eggum" <bruceeggum(at)gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 01:15:26 -0500
Subject: Re: WDDM Board

Dear Mark  and all,

WDDM is an organization, not a government. We do not need nor can we exist with an extremely tight infrastructure. The reason to have a board was because experience showed we did not have enough active members to process even the most basic needs of this organization.

We could not even find enough voters to approve necessary topics.

Now, Mark seems to want to minimize the power of the board. I disagree with that. The boards decisions should stand, if the group disagrees they can submit an initiative to have it changed or deleted after the binding referendum. That is the organizations check and balance.

The Board needs to consider if some things need loosening up a bit to be functional.

I also suggest the board meet and decide what needs to be done first, such as the Mission Statement. Other matters, linking etc. should only be done after this organization is on solid ground, ie has all the necessary infrastructure of an organization.

Regards, Bruce

PS I support the Board and believe the members elected are very capable and will develop the infrastructure for WDDM. It will take a bit of time, but it will be the right thing. When the Board is ready re Major structural change, they can submit their findings for approval. Basic Board decisions should be accepted with no further approval necessary.

On 5/19/07, Mark Antell, editor CitizenPowerMagazine.net wrote:
Hello George, Richard, Nicolas, All,

We've got a charter (posted below as recommended reading) and we've got an elected board (George, Richard, Mark), with an alternate (Nicolas) if Richard decides not to take on the responsibility.

There's some unfinished business - a mission statement for example.  The charter proposal included a mission statement, but that part of the proposal did not receive a 2/3 majority vote and therefore did not pass.  A mission statement is part of a charter, and like all charter amendments requires a 2/3 approval*.

Also, we probably should start looking into ways to improve deliberative discussion.  The charter specifically suggests we should look into controlling aggressive posting.

There's some new business - like establishing some working relationships with organizations like More Democracy, the Initiative and Referendum Institute, and many more.  Perhaps we would want to ask volunteers to approach organizations to discuss some ways of working together.  Once negotiated, any working agreements would be normal business items and would only require majority vote* for approval.

Those are my suggested agenda items for now.   I like your idea, George, of asking others to propose other agenda items for board review.

Recognize that the executive board has limited powers under our charter.  It may approve business motions but that approval is temporary, and must be validated by a majority vote.  Note also that proposals can be posted for discussion by any member.  If a proposal is seconded by a substantial number of members (10% of the membership) the sponsor of the proposal may be post it as a motion for vote regardless of the executive board's position.

I also suggest that the executive board normally carry out conversations in the open, that is to say, via posting to the whole membership.  Why not?

Mark Antell, member
WDDM Executive Board

* Majority approval here means a majority of those voting.  2/3 approval means 2/3 of those voting.