01019: Re: [WDDM] Re: WDDM Membership Requirement

From: common1(at)voicesfordd.com
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 17:10:47 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [WDDM] Re: WDDM Membership Requirement

Hi All,

I, personally, agree with all of what Bruce is recommending EXCEPT the
statement excluding people with criminal records. Here, in the United
States, there are more people behind bars who are not "criminals" but
merely people who have been unlucky enough to have a non-white skin, or to
have used a harmless drug that, for one reason or another, was not
acceptable to the Establishment. Furthermore there are untold numbers of
Americans who have paid their debts to society--and they should not be
excluded simply because the Establishment has labeled them "criminals".

Lee G.

Dear WDDM Members,

I joined WDDM a year or so after it's founding. I was invited by another
member, that is how it was done. I was given a copy of the FD and asked to
study it. I signed a statement that I agreed with the FD and membership
criteria. I was accepted by referendum two weeks later. As a WDDM Member I
am responsible to follow the WDDM membership clause, which states to
follow
the WDDM FD.

This WDDM FD has never been changed or thrown out. It has been neglected
and
overlooked.

I suggest WDDM take up the original WDDM Founding Documents as
established.
Than, make any appropriate changes following the process provided which is
Initiative and Referendum.

We can do this now that we have a voting method. If you vote using the new
method, that is endorsement of that method. If you disagree with the
voting
method, please immediately say so before the referendum.

I WDDM member Bruce Eggum submit the following three Proposals:

1. MEMBERSHIP I here by PROPOSE that the WDDM MEMBERSHIP CRITERIA be as
follows:
" 3.1 Any individual, with sound mind and without a criminal record, can
join our Movement by accepting our Founding Documents, Mission Statement,
and the Membership Rules and Conduct."

2. WDDM FD I here by PROPOSE that the original WDDM FOUNDING DOCUMENTS be
immediately adopted for the present WDDM and that any appropriate changes
can be made with the rules within the FD.

3. I propose that consideration and discussion of this be done for a
period
of Four weeks, after which a Referendum will be held to accept or reject
my
proposals #1 Membership and #2. WDDM FD
Bruce Eggum

FOUNDING DOCUMENTS
WORLDWIDE DIRECT DEMOCRACY MOVEMENT, WDDM

PREAMBLE
We, members of the Continuing International Congress on Direct Democracy
(CICDD) decided during our second Congress in Delphi, Greece, the
birthplace
of democracy, to establish a formal Worldwide Direct Democracy Movement.
We
dedicate ourselves to work toward the introduction of Direct Democracy
(DD)
into the representative systems, through Citizens Initiatives and
Referendums, and, ultimately, transform them peacefully to true
democracies
of the people. We pledge ourselves to remain faithful to genuine
democratic
principles as expressed in our Mission Statement. We aim to inspire others
to join us and help to develop principles and methods leading to direct
democracy (DD) of the people. We have been and will remain dedicated
members
of CICDD and share our ideals and proposals with all participants in the
Network, individuals, and families.

MISSION STATEMENT

We, members of the Worldwide Direct Democracy Movement, believe that all
citizens have the right to directly perform lawmaking and other
governmental
functions in any polity in which they live. Therefore we seek to develop
and
promote any participatory processes which allow people to exercise their
rights to make their own laws and/or manage their own governance.

1. WE BELIEVE IN THE FOLLOWING PRINCIPLES

1.1 People are sovereign, and they are the only legitimate authority to
govern their society.

1.2 The power to formulate laws and policies must be vested directly in
the
People without representatives at all levels of societal life.

1.3 Every person have equal right and opportunity to participate in public
affairs.

1.4 The people shall define major societal issues and policy alternatives
when they are based on well-informed choices.

1.4.1 Public opinion can be easily influenced by vested interests and
money. Therefore, we oppose such manipulations. Public debates must be
factual, balanced, impersonal and non-manipulative.

1.4.2 Each issue must be presented and considered independently and
its
best alternative be selected strictly on its own merit.

1.5 Peoples Initiatives, backed by sufficient number of signatures, should
mandate a binding Referendum and/or recall of unworthy representatives
(I&R+R) decided by public vote.

1.6 Individuals and families must be made acquainted, from 'bottom up',
with
sensible educational tools to understand social morality, the common needs
and interests of all, thereby, enable them to make knowledge-based
societal
policies.

1.7 We as 'Facilitators' shall endeavor to help citizens to setup Planning
Cells, Citizen Juries, and Citizens Forums, as local bodies to supervise
municipal and local administrations and public administrations. These
'Forums' will hear and attempt to settle issues, and if they cannot, then
refer them either to the courts or to Citizens Parliaments.

1.8 We believe in and advocate peaceful and gradual transformation of
society into genuine democracy.

1.9 We are against any form of aggression and violence, but we believe
that
the people must defend themselves, if and when, they are attacked.

1.10 We advocate respectful dialogue and constructive proposals.

1.11 Voting and gathering signatures can take place by secure electronic
methods, therefore, we endeavor to have them legally established.

1.12 The results of public decisions will constitute the body of the law.

Signed by International Coordinating Committee for the formalization of
the
Worldwide Direct Democracy Movement.

3. MEMBERSHIP CRITERIA

3.1 Any individual, with sound mind and without a criminal record, can
join
our Movement by accepting our Founding Documents, Mission Statement, and
the
Membership Rules and Conduct.

3.2 Initially, there is no membership fee, however, in the future, the
members may vote for a membership fee.

3.3 Each member shall be a subscriber of the 'Newsletter'. A minimum US
$20.00 donation is recommended for its upkeep.

3.4 An application for membership shall be posted by the Secretary for 2
weeks for discussion. If none of the members oppose the application for
membership, then the applicant shall be automatically adopted to be a
member
of WDDM.

3.5 When opposed during the two week discussion period, the Secretary
shall
'post' the membership for voting for another 2-weeks. At the end of the
voting period, the Secretary shall calculate and post the results.

3.6 If the majority decides that a Member violated our principles,
contained
in these 'Founding Documents', such person shall be expelled from our
movement, and also, suffer legal consequences.

http://www.world-wide-democracy.net/archive/original_wddm/OriginalFoundingDoc.html

On 2/26/07, Bruce Eggum <bruce.eggum(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Dear all,
There have been "discussions" but not necessarily "decisions". Indeed,
we
had no established way to "vote". Mirek, Thank you for setting up a
voting
process. Please submit the process of voting in writing so any person
who
accepted the "election" position would know how to do it. Where votes
are
sent and how to access them etc.

The present "Mission Statement" appeared, but I did not discuss it
because
there were other matters, like who was a member.

I think this statement would piss off a lot of business people,
entrepreneurs, and others.

"EVERYWHERE, the people of planet Earth are angry, frustrated, and
disappointed with their political systems, for dictators are still
tyrants,
and so-called democracies are undeniably and clearly undemocratic.
Politics
still favors the powerful, and political parties are not only filled
with
incompetent opportunists, but in this highly technological world they
are
obsolete."

Bruce: We are trying to establish DD with government. To call these
people
we are trying to establish communication with: "forked-tongued
politicians, greedy, uncaring businessmen," really screws that up.

On WDDM Website: Earth, people are weary of forked-tongued politicians,
greedy, uncaring businessmen, and the continuous wars they initiate.
Everywhere, people seek new ways to govern their societies; ways that
would
be more honest and just, promising a better and safer future for
themselves
and their children. They seek ― and they are finding ― new ways that do
promise a better and safer future. Among these pioneers, the
overwhelming
consensus is that, of all these new ways, "Participatory" Democracy,
also
known as "Direct" Democracy, is the most promising path to that better
future.

So, we best establish an AIM of what we are doing here.
I completely oppose the present "mission statement".

On 2/26/07, M. Kolar <wddm(at)mkolar.org> wrote:

Dear all!

I remind you that I wrote on Feb. 2:
Here we could at first at least try to finalize some basic things
that
are
long overdue, that determine how WDDM is viewed from the outside
world, one
issue at a time (for example, one simple question each week or two -
would
that be a reasonable time scale?).

We can start with the character of the WDDM (I do not mean now
whether
it
should be an organization or association or whatever; let's accept
for
now
that it is just a group of supposedly DD advocates without any fixed
structure). The question is: should we be a model of society at
large
(a
future DD society), and accept as members anybody who has some
interest in
how the society is organized and governs itself, or should we be a
group of
people who share a rather well defined set of ideas about what
democracy is,
and concentrate on promoting this vision.

WDDM has no right to tell anyone what to do. WDDM is to provide
information, advocacy for ALL DD methods. WDDM is not a government, it
cannot be a DD example. WDDM can put this information on the website and
links for people to refer to. WDDM can provide communication methods,
where
people can ask questions etc. but WDDM cannot be responsible for an
individuals views nor endorses them.

So for the next while I'll be excepting here only contributions
concerning
this questions probably until we reach a reasonable consensus.

Then later I asked specifically about new member requirements.
The only response to this request was this one:

Mark Antell, editor CitizenPowerMagazine.net wrote:
Mirek,
Thanks for the reminder on the issue of minimum membership
requirements. I agree that we should enforce the presently posted
requirement that new members must affirm postive interest in DD (or
at

least democracy improvement). Mark Antell
------------------

I agree with Mark.

Can we now close this matter?

Bruce- NO
We have people joining "automatically" with no review at all.
I suggest that people could "join" our OPEN email list, and than they
would be "email members" which is what the majority of Move On members
are.

Than, to become a Voting WDDM Member, after six months on the Open list
they could petition to join and become a voting member. (this 6 months
could
be waived in individual cases) We would have "talked" to them on OPEN or
we
could now "talk to them" before they become members. Thus WDDM could
make
better choices of who is a member. Membership in any group has some
demands, they need to know what they are and we need to know if they
applicant fits our ways.

As there were no objections, and also based on the past discussions, it
seems
that everybody agrees with the following:
------------------
WDDM is a group of people who share the Mission Statement as
formulated
at
http://www.world-wide-democracy.net/ , and concentrate on promoting
this
vision.

WDDM membership can be obtained quite easily by registering on the
WDDM
site as
described at http://www.world-wide-democracy.net/join.php
However, the new member must satisfy the following minimum
requirements:
fill
in correctly all the fields in the registration form. In particular,
give one's
real name and in the box named "Relation to Direct Democracy" write a
few words
about themselves (individual members) or a short description of the
organization - any information that could be of interest to the DD
community
(and that is not yet in the "DD public domain").

If the above information in not provided, the new members will be
reminded to
rectify this. If they fail to do so within another week after this
reminder,
their WDDM member account will be deleted.
-----------------

Bruce NO see above for membership .

Let us wait for another five days. If there are no more votes,
objections,
or
any other suggestions on this subject, made by e-mail to this list,
this
statement will be considered a official WDDM document.

Bruce, I hope this procedure is OK. It is exactly the e-mail voting
system you
suggested, I hope.

Mark will be presenting the charter proposal shortly. It will actually
incorporate the above statement in somewhat different words.

Discussion and approval of the charter will be the next item to
discuss
in a
similar way as the above. Maybe we could approve the charter proposal
item by item?

Bruce: WHAT Charter?

This way we will hopefully adopt some official documents, and complete
finally
the Online Constituting Convention started on March 25, 2005
(http://www.world-wide-democracy.net/archive/proposals0/wddm_index_march29_april8.html
).

Mirek

WDDM Mission Statement as formulated at