01010: Re: [WDDM] Re: WDDM Membership Requirement

From: "Mark Antell, editor CitizenPowerMagazine.net" <citizenp(at)citizenpowermagazine.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 17:35:56 -0500
Subject: Re: [WDDM] Re: WDDM Membership Requirement

Hi Mirek,
I'll incorporate the mission statement into the charter by reference.
-----------------
M. Kolar wrote:

Dear all!

I remind you that I wrote on Feb. 2:

Here we could at first at least try to finalize some basic things
that are
long overdue, that determine how WDDM is viewed from the outside
world, one
issue at a time (for example, one simple question each week or two -
would
that be a reasonable time scale?).

We can start with the character of the WDDM (I do not mean now
whether it
should be an organization or association or whatever; let's accept
for now
that it is just a group of supposedly DD advocates without any fixed
structure). The question is: should we be a model of society at large (a
future DD society), and accept as members anybody who has some
interest in
how the society is organized and governs itself, or should we be a
group of
people who share a rather well defined set of ideas about what
democracy is,
and concentrate on promoting this vision.

So for the next while I'll be excepting here only contributions
concerning
this questions probably until we reach a reasonable consensus.

Then later I asked specifically about new member requirements.
The only response to this request was this one:

Mark Antell, editor CitizenPowerMagazine.net wrote:

Mirek,
Thanks for the reminder on the issue of minimum membership
requirements. I agree that we should enforce the presently posted
requirement that new members must affirm postive interest in DD (or
at least democracy improvement). Mark Antell
------------------

I agree with Mark.

Can we now close this matter?
As there were no objections, and also based on the past discussions,
it seems that everybody agrees with the following:
------------------
WDDM is a group of people who share the Mission Statement as
formulated at http://www.world-wide-democracy.net/, and concentrate on
promoting this vision.

WDDM membership can be obtained quite easily by registering on the
WDDM site as described at http://www.world-wide-democracy.net/join.php
However, the new member must satisfy the following minimum
requirements: fill in correctly all the fields in the registration
form. In particular, give one's real name and in the box named
"Relation to Direct Democracy" write a few words about themselves
(individual members) or a short description of the organization - any
information that could be of interest to the DD community (and that is
not yet in the "DD public domain").

If the above information in not provided, the new members will be
reminded to rectify this. If they fail to do so within another week
after this reminder, their WDDM member account will be deleted.
-----------------

Let us wait for another five days. If there are no more votes,
objections, or any other suggestions on this subject, made by e-mail
to this list, this statement will be considered a official WDDM document.

Bruce, I hope this procedure is OK. It is exactly the e-mail voting
system you suggested, I hope.

Mark will be presenting the charter proposal shortly. It will actually
incorporate the above statement in somewhat different words.

Discussion and approval of the charter will be the next item to
discuss in a similar way as the above. Maybe we could approve the
charter proposal item by item?

This way we will hopefully adopt some official documents, and complete
finally the Online Constituting Convention started on March 25, 2005
(http://www.world-wide-democracy.net/archive/proposals0/wddm_index_march29_april8.html).

Mirek

WDDM Mission Statement as formulated at
http://www.world-wide-democracy.net/ is acceptable