00974: changes

From: <WDDM webmaster>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 00:23:22 -0800
Subject: changes

Dear all!

Because some people again started to be unhappy with the level of discussion in
this list, and started to leave, I have created a new list
open(at)world-wide-democracy.net (distinguished by the prefix OPEN_WDDM in the
subject of its mailouts), as some of you have already been informed yesterday.
This new list is intended for unmoderated discussion on anything its
subscribers choose. It is open to general public. To subscribe to this list,
anybody can send an empty message to:
open-subscribe(at)world-wide-democracy.net
I have already updated accordingly all the relevant pages on the site.

Right now I have not yet unsubscribed from this "official" WDDM
(wddm@world-wide-democracy.net) list those of you who have recently sent in
their resignations or asked to be unsubscribed (about 7 people altogether). But
you were not subscribed to the new OPEN_WDDM list. If these people still want
to be unsubscribed from this WDDM list, you can do it yourself by sending an
empty e-mail to wddm-unsubscribe(at)world-wide-democracy.net , or write me to do
it for you.
You may want to wait for a while before doing so to see how things will be
going here.

It seems from the past discussion here that most of the WDDM members do not
wish to do more than participate in an unfocused discussion. The new OPEN_WDDM
list is a venue for such discussions.
Here we could at first at least try to finalize some basic things that are long
overdue, that determine how WDDM is viewed from the outside world, one issue at
a time (for example, one simple question each week or two - would that be a
reasonable time scale?).

We can start with the character of the WDDM (I do not mean now whether it
should be an organization or association or whatever; let's accept for now that
it is just a group of supposedly DD advocates without any fixed structure).
The question is: should we be a model of society at large (a future DD
society), and accept as members anybody who has some interest in how the
society is organized and governs itself, or should we be a group of people who
share a rather well defined set of ideas about what democracy is, and
concentrate on promoting this vision.

So for the next while I'll be excepting here only contributions concerning this
questions probably until we reach a reasonable consensus.
And of course also the suggestions how to better organize this discussion, what
questions and in what order to deal with (which may not be released immediately
but only as a summary of all suggestions). Another venue for this
organizational suggestions (before we have some more automated system) is for
example here: http://www.world-wide-democracy.net/forum/read.php?22,349,349#msg-349

Mirek
(in the role of webmaster and the "organizing moderator", see
http://www.world-wide-democracy.net/Wiki/WddmModerator, for a while again)