00960: Popularity vote?

From: "Bruce Eggum" <bruce.eggum(at)gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 14:42:57 -0600
Subject: Popularity vote?

Dear WDDM

WDDM is not even following the original Charter, Founding Documents.

 (Which we need to update and expand)

Indeed there seem to be many who completely disregard even the need for such a Charter and ignore what we have.

Now, someone brought up an issue with a membership. There is no process being followed to expel the member who was "automatically accepted" without following any membership application and review.

WDDM certainly cannot simply have a popularity vote --- I like the person or I don't like the person to expel them.

This could be a learning experience. Here are the basic FD membership guidelines: 3. MEMBERSHIP CRITERIA

3.1 Any individual, with sound mind and without a criminal record, can join our Movement by accepting our Founding Documents, Mission Statement, and the Membership Rules and Conduct.

3.2 Initially, there is no membership fee, however, in the future, the members may vote for a membership fee.

3.3 Each member shall be a subscriber of the 'Newsletter'. A minimum US $20.00 donation is recommended for its upkeep.

3.4 An application for membership shall be posted by the Secretary for 2 weeks for discussion. If none of the members oppose the application for membership, then the applicant shall be automatically adopted to be a member of WDDM.

3.5 When opposed during the two week discussion period, the Secretary shall 'post' the membership for voting for another 2-weeks. At the end of the voting period, the Secretary shall calculate and post the results.

3.6 If the majority decides that a Member violated our principles, contained in these 'Founding Documents', such person shall be expelled from our movement, and also, suffer legal consequences.

None of this was followed. Indeed, I wrote much on membership expanding this and it was all rejected as unnecessary. Now we are in a pickle. We have accepted a person for membership with no review or consideration.

If the person is to be expelled, the person must at least be given a hearing, what charges or complaints are brought against the person? I have not seen specific charges. The person must than be given opportunity to respond to these charges.

We have seen how miscommunication can foul our understanding of what a person meant. The least we need to do is to investigate if the accusations made are indeed valid. The individual must be given opportunity to defend themselves!

From this can't you see we need WDDM STRUCTURE – a CHARTER which defines membership, has a process to confront a person who some may think is inappropriate, define responsibilities for members etc?

Bruce Eggum

--
Bruce Eggum