00945: RE: [WDDM] Democracy and Anarchy do not mix

From: Duncan Thorp <duncanthorp(at)hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 00:23:53 +0000
Subject: RE: [WDDM] Democracy and Anarchy do not mix

I actually agree with all of you so far.

It's certainly not up to one individual to dictate a decision about the WDDM.

However, this is not an anarchist movement, if you're an anarchist then why not join an anarchist organisation? I don't understand why you would be a member of the WDDM? I fully understand and respect your ideology but in terms of achieving your aim of an anarchist society then you're perhaps not being very productive being a member of the WDDM?

I believe that in terms of political power then that should be in the hands of all people in a direct democracy and, for example, economics isn't a part of my argument - to me it's just about political power. I believe that it's a gradual process that takes time and we can't have it overnight. My election campaign is a good example of taking practical action to introduce the concept of direct democracy to ordinary people, into the mainstream and away from the barricades.

Being calm, organised, practical and with sound yet radical arguments I aim to make more and more people become aware of DD and start to think about how this could be done in practice. I'm definitely no conservative but to be blunt I think it's achieving more than wearing a mask and smashing a McDonalds restaurant.

See my campaign website: www.votethorp.com

Best wishes, Duncan

Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 03:30:55 -0600
From: bruce.eggum(at)gmail.com
To: wddm@world-wide-democracy.net
Subject: [WDDM] Democracy and Anarchy do not mix

WDDM is Worldwide Direct Democracy Movement

This organization has the goaol of providing information on Direct Democracy (DD) so people the  world over will be able to understand DD and could develop ways to use some system of DD in their governments.

As an organization for Democracy, WDDM subscribes to present methods of governance such as republics, hierchy of organization, and voteing so citizens may decide for themselves the procedures, laws, and develop the format their community will follow.

Anarchists ideology: Opposition to the state and hierarchical authority had a long history prior to the formation of the anarchist movement in nineteenth century Europe. Some claim that anarchist themes can be detected in works as old as those of the Taoist sage Lao Tzu, [9] though this is a controversial topic.[10] Zeno of Citium, the founder of Stoicism also introduced topics which contain anarchist themes.[9]

For individualist anarchists, "the system of democracy, of majority decision, is held null and void.

Thus, all those who are members of WDDM and insist in trying to implement anarchist ideology into WDDM are in the wrong organization. Your efforts to destroy the democracy in WDDM have left the organization in confusion.

I  therefore ask those who choose anarchist ideology to resign from WDDM. You may choose to join an anarchist organization, but you do not fit in a democratic organization.

I hold no animosity toward anarchist's, we simply have different beliefs.

I submit some information from Wikipedia which details these items I bring to your attention.

Respectfully, Bruce Eggum

Anarchism

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

"Anarchist" redirects here. For the Marvel Comics superhero, see Anarchist (comics).

Anarchism is a political philosophy or group of doctrines and attitudes centered on rejection of any form of compulsory government (cf. "state"[1] ) and supporting its elimination.[2][3] The term "anarchism" is derived from the Greek αναρχία ("without archons" or "without rulers"). Thus "anarchism," in its most general meaning, is the belief that all forms of rulership (and thus also involuntary servitude) are undesirable and should be abolished.
There is a variety of types and traditions of anarchism with various points of difference.[4][5] However, the varieties are not particularly well characterized and not all them are mutually exclusive.[6] Other than being opposed to the state, "there is no single defining position that all anarchists hold, and those considered anarchists at best share a certain family resemblance."[7] Preferred economic arrangements are one of the many areas of disagreement for anarchists.[8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchism#Democracy

Pre-Nineteenth Century

Main article: Origins of anarchism

Opposition to the state and hierarchical authority had a long history prior to the formation of the anarchist movement in nineteenth century Europe. Some claim that anarchist themes can be detected in works as old as those of the Taoist sage Lao Tzu, [9] though this is a controversial topic.[10] Zeno of Citium, the founder of Stoicism also introduced topics which contain anarchist themes.[9]
Anarchism in the modern sense, however, has its roots in the secular political thought of the Enlightenment, particularly Rousseau's arguments for the moral centrality of freedom.[11] The word "anarchist" was originally used as a term of abuse, but by the French Revolution some groups such as the Enragés had started to use the term in a positive sense,[12] seeing the Jacobin concept of a "revolutionary government" as an oxymoron. It was in this political climate that William Godwin would develop his philosophy, which is considered by many to be the first _expression_ of modern anarchist thought.[13]
One may also look to the 17th Century writings of John Locke, who, in his Second Treatise of Civil Government, takes the state of nature to be a condition of 'pure anarchy.' Given Locke's relatively positive view of the state of nature, as a situation where individuals can have extensive property rights, one may also see Locke as departing from the use of the term 'anarchy' as one of simple abuse.

Democracy

For individualist anarchists, "the system of democracy, of majority decision, is held null and void. Any impingement upon the natural rights of the person is unjust and a symbol of majority tyranny."[120] Anarcho-ecologist Murray Bookchin criticizes individualist anarchists for opposing democracy[121], and says "majority rule" is consistent with anarchism,[122] but he also preferred the term assembly rather than democracy. Bookchin has in turn been accused of "municipal statism"; i.e., non-anarchism[123]. Lysander Spooner's long essay "No Treason"[124] offers an individualist anarchist rebuttal to the argument that existing democratic governments are justified by majority consent.

--
Bruce Eggum
Gresham Wisconsin, USA