00940: Charter

From: Lee Gottlieb <com1mon(at)yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 07:08:21 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Charter

Hello Everybody

As a WDDM member, I would like to say a few words; probably said
more than a few times in past discussions.

I've been a member of WDDM for a number of years, and in that time I've
enjoyed discussions with many of you, and enjoyed meeting some of you,
who I believe are sincere advocates of DD. If not, at the least you have proven
to be anti-hierarchical advocates.

The truth is WDDM has never been more than an internet discussion group,
although I know some of the founders had grander dreams. The truth is, other
than Jiri's wonderful newsletter, and MIrek's grand website―both of which exist
in the real world―WDDM is a wisp in the wind, an ephemeral idea straining to
be birthed.

Bruce is correct "WDDM needs to discuss and decide how WDDM will discuss
and decide." It's easy to go along without such procedures when you have only
47 people who have professed an interest in the group, but most of whom are
presently inactive. How do you handle decisions when there are 1, 047 interested
and active people?

Bruce is also correct in pointing out―as if it needed to be pointed out―that the
processes being submitted for member approval are for WDDM only and not for the world; and that someone has to create them, as there is no invisible hand guiding WDDM, as we're led to believe guides the world's economies. So, isn't it logical for those members who have volunteered to do the job, to do it? What can be the objection, if the processes recommended are as democratic as could possibly be under the circumstances?

I can't understand how such dedicated and intelligent advocates of DD can't understand that a true democratic system must have organization and order, if it isn't to devolve into chaos and anarchy, and that everyone doesn't participate in every decision. That condition, in itself, would be chaotic.

Unfortunately, the truth is also as Alan Smith has stated, "WDDM has become a battleground of egos" where, I'm sad to say, words are often laced with cynicism
and bitterness.

Most members who bother to join discussions seem to be content merely to discuss DD. Is that to be the results of our efforts―mere talk? Are we not capable of more? Can we not define a purpose to our efforts? Can we not dream and work toward accomplishing goals in the real world?

Alan also said, " Perhaps, in a thousand years humanity will be mature enough to utilize a system of democracy. In the meantime, they (people) love it as it is. They have problems about which they can cry on each others' shoulders and someone else to blame all their problems on."

Isn't this because people are comfortable with what they have, and fear change, even if what they have is repressive or oppressive? Isn't this because most people are ignorant of what true democracy is, and the benefits to be derived from a properly structured democracy? Then, wouldn't it be a logical goal―and a logical first step―for WDDM to try to educate the public about true democracy? It seems to me with all the concerned, intelligent, knowedgeable members in WDDM, an educational organization would have been the groups next move. But, this never happened.

I thought enough about the idea of an educational organization to work up such a program and presented it September of 2005 at the WDDM Conference in Prague. Only a few of the attendees showed any interest, most were wrapped up in their own projects. Jiri suggested that Mirek, George Kokkas, and I get together and further develop the idea. This never happened. The demands of real life have kept both of the others busy.

Fortunately, I am retired and have had the time to further develop my original ideas for an educational organization to promote DD, and I will continue my feeble efforts to make it a reality. Until that happens, I will do everything I can to help the Charter Workgroup succeed, as well as help Jiri and Mirek with their projects.

Here, in the U.S., I will also do everything I can to help Senator Mike Gravel of Alaska win the Democratic candidacy for president in 2008, as he is the most sincere democracy advocate running  for the office, and his plans for a national I&R constitutional amendment is the next best thing to true democracy and the best program we have going for our cause.

Meanwhile, please stop the bickering and let's try to help Bernard, Mirek and the others build an orgnization with purpose.

Lee Gottlieb

THE FUTURE WILL BE WHATEVER
CURRENT GENERATIONS WILL IT TO BE!