00938: EU going non democratic

From: "Bruce Eggum" <bruce.eggum(at)gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 03:26:29 -0600
Subject: EU going non democratic

I pass this along from Vladimir. If the EU does not develop a "Republican" stance, where all Nations have a say in their EU, and if the people are thus limited in any input, this is NOT democracy. It would seem the Swiss model would work well here. Unfortunately it will take much networking to get enough EU Citizens together to demand at the least I and BINDING Referendum. There is not time to do much else. Again, it takes structure and networking so all can have input. Many organized groups, coming together could do this. Bruce

Vladimir Rott

show details
 2:06 am (1 hour ago)
--  Fwd:
   From: Cem Suleyman<Cem(at)openeurope.org.uk>
   Date: 20 January 2007 00:52:20 GMT+01:00
   Subject: Open Europe bulletin 19 January 2007

openeurope.org.uk - 19 January 2007

   Constitution officially back on the agenda: This time you won't
   get a vote

... The focus of the debate has to some extent shifted to the subject
of how to handle the likely calls for referendums, should agreement
occur at a political level ...

... Segolene Royal committed herself to holding a referendum on
whatever treaty is drawn up. She also stated that a "social" element
would be an essential pre-condition for a new treaty: "What I want, is
for there to be a social side and for workers' rights to be taken into
consideration in Europe." ... Royal's commitment to a referendum would
be likely to increase pressure on other governments to put the new
Treaty to popular vote, and her announcement was said by the FT to have
been "greeted with dismay" in London ...
   ... If Nicolas Sarkozy wins the French elections in May, his planned
mini-treaty - which would retain most of the key elements of the
original Constitution - might escape being put to a referendum in
France, but would be sufficiently controversial in the UK to generate
demands for a referendum ...
   ... If Royal wins, it will be more difficult for EU leaders to reach
agreement in Brussels, but the resulting treaty would be likely to be
even worse from a UK point of view ...

... The UK Government argued this week that a new treaty is not needed,
but also began to prepare the ground to argue that any new treaty will
not require a referendum. A ... spokesman told ... "We think the best
European Constitution is a simple Constitution. The result of a simple
Constitution would be that we would not have to hold a referendum" ...
   ... Blairite Europe Minister Geoff Hoon said ... that there is "no
requirement" to hold a referendum on "every single change in the
treaty" ...
   ... The FT noted that UK diplomats in Brussels were trying to make
it clear to their colleagues that they would only agree to a new treaty
if it could be spun as not requiring a referendum ...
   ... Brown and his supporters fear that they could be lumbered with a
Constitution negotiated and agreed by Blair, which would mean Brown
having to defend Blair's treaty in Parliament, and face calls for a
referendum vote he would be likely to lose ...
   ... Either way, the EU Constitution is back as a live issue. Brown
clearly wants the whole issue to go away, but Blair's confirmed
attendance at the crucial June summit and determination to secure his
European legacy mean the Chancellor could be landed with some unwanted
baggage by his predecessor ...

... EU Trade Commissioner Peter Mandelson claimed that he had never
been in favour of a Constitution in the first place, but would be in
favour of the kind of mini treaty now being drawn up ... Mandelson
said, "I don't think we ever needed a new, grand Constitution for
Europe in the first place." He said that Europe now needed "a set of
efficiency changes" ...
   ... Angela Merkel formally set out her plans for the revival of the
EU Constitution in a speech to the European Parliament this week. She
said that a series of global challenges made it more necessary than
ever to have a common foreign policy enacted through an "EU foreign
minister" which, she argued, made it vital to bring the EU Constitution
into force. She stated that, "The phase of reflection is over. Our task
now is to prepare new decisions by June. I intend to strive to ensure
that at the end of the German Presidency a road map setting the way
forward for the constitutional treaty can be adopted." ...

   Democracy Europe - D-Europe - supports all efforts to promote
   democracy and to build up a more democratic Europe.
   In all countries within, not yet in, or outside the EU.
       -   http://yahoogroups.com/group/democracy-europe
   New Convention on the future of Europe:
       -   http://democracy-international.org/new-convention.html
   European Citizens' Initiative:
       -   http://democracy-international.org/eci.html
   European Referendum / European Referendum Campaign:
       -   http://european-referendum.org/erc.html
   Network for Direct Democracy in Europe: http://nddie.org
   How to build up a succesful organisation - experience of Mehr
   Demokratie, also contacts to get assistance:
       -   http://democracy-international.org/howto.html
   Political rights in the Swiss Confederation (on the federal level,
   in addition to those in all the cantones and communes):
           -   http://www.admin.ch/ch/e/pore
   de:     -   http://www.admin.ch/ch/d/pore
   fr:     -   http://www.admin.ch/ch/f/pore
   it:     -   http://www.admin.ch/ch/i/pore
       Paradise is exactly like where you are
           right now, only much, much, better.    --Laurie Anderson

       Never doubt that a small group of engaged people can change
           the world - indeed it is the only way
                the world has ever changed.        --Margaret Mead

--
Bruce Eggum
Gresham Wisconsin, USA