00933: Re: [WDDM] Toward a WDDM Charter

From: Albano Cordeiro <cordei(at)ccr.jussieu.fr>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 23:54:55 +0100
Subject: Re: [WDDM] Toward a WDDM Charter

My options are : 1B, 2A, 3B, 4A, 6A, 7A, 8A
Albano Cordeiro

Mark Antell, editor CitizenPowerMagazine.net a écrit :
*Toward a WDDM Charter*

To: WDDM Membership
From: Mark Antell, editor CitizenPowerMagazine.net

/May I request that reviewers read this note completely before
responding? Thank you./

About three months ago I volunteered to help out with a WDDM charter
because I think (as do we all) that direct democracy would lead to
better governance; and that an organization of activists might help
define and implement improved democracy.

On conversation with several WDDM members it became clear that a
number of issues need to be discussed and resolved before a draft
charter can be drafted. So ... you will find below a series of eight
critical issues entitled “Decisions underlying a charter for WDDM.”
The “Decisions” document also includes positions that might be chosen
on these issues. These issues and positions have been circulated
before to a limited group.

I’m now requesting that members of WDDM comment on the questions and
options on a point-by- point basis. While standardized responses will
not be required, I would hope that people would generally indicate
point-by-point whether they support option A, or option B, or
something else entirely.

Following the “Decisions” review and response (let’s say 4 weeks, ie
by Feb 4, 2007), co-sponsors (volunteers welcome) would join in
drafting a proposed charter based on feedback. /The “Decisions”
document is exploratory and therefore includes options. The charter
proposal by contrast would not include options./ The process for
review, discussion, modification, and approval of the proposed charter
is partly dependant on what the proposed charter says. Under the
process set by option 6A, the proposed charter would require a
'second' from 10% of the active membership to be posted for vote.
Under any scenario, charter adoption must include a deliberative
process ending with a vote.

/Those wishing to take a leadership position in this process will be
expected to motivate other discussion participants.
/
Best,
Mark Antell

/Let me note a personal bias for option A on all of the questions
below. I think that an organization chartered per options A would be
an exemplar of direct democracy.

*Decisions underlying a charter for WDDM*
Positions on the issues below largely define what should be included
in a proposed charter for WDDM.