00930: Re: [WDDM] Re: Toward a WDDM Charter

From: Filia den Hollander <holla(at)xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 15:36:37 +0100
Subject: Re: [WDDM] Re: Toward a WDDM Charter

Hi to all,

Bernard, I hadn’t received your email, because I’m currently not on the WDDM list. I feel on and off a member. So thanks, Bruce for adding Bernard’s email (below).

My position is as follows:
- in general I do not believe in organizational structures, for they open up to exactly what I am (and we are, I presume) against. An organization requires a leader, or chief administer who has everybody’s trust (or, the other way around: who is beyond anyone’s distrust). In this regard Mirek would, I believe, fit the profile. So I flat out disagree with Bruce.

- on internet a community with a set of rules is in my view undoable. This is simply because we cannot meet in the flesh and because reading all the stuff takes too much (of my) time. The best we can achieve is some etiquette as Bernard described some time ago – to not criticize each other but merely put one’s own view beside the view of the one you disagree with. Let’s remember that past revolutionaries –of Marxism, anarchism and so on, were individuals who traveled around a lot, and through meetings they could mobilize the people and their revolutionary energy.

- thirdly – and this is a point Ted Becker recently pointed out in a 1-on-1 email – there is no money to back WDDM as an organization up. We can already be immensely grateful for the quiet and persevering work Mirek is doing. (Let’s make Mirek our local hero  ;-)

- fourth – a point Leopoldo Salgui made – to need an organizational structure is when a group becomes too big. Small groups or local groups can simply start initiatives and other groups can help in terms of exchanging expertise and feedback. A great example of this is what George is doing in Greece.

As regard to my response to Bernard – that came from a personal irritation. For discretion reasons I will clarify myself in a 1-on-1 email to him.

With kind regards,
Filia