00921: // Re: [WDDM] Re: Toward a WDDM Charter

From: Filia den Hollander <holla(at)xs4all.nl>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 19:59:43 +0100
Subject: // Re: [WDDM] Re: Toward a WDDM Charter

For we never seem to do it right anyway...

-----
Hello,

Which is the sell-by date? I’d like to know when exactly we will lose Bernard. For surely we cannot all of a sudden all change our thinking into Bernard’s liking, can we ?

Kind regards,
Filia den Hollander

op 14-01-2007 15:28 schreef Bernard Clayson op bernard-clayson(at)shuartfarm.fsnet.co.uk:

Dear all,

Without getting in to a point by point debate, Bruce does mention one important factor that I keep mentioning - cultural differences.
Spelling is only one, although I would add we are conversing in English<grin>
The main one is the attempt to squeeze a quart in to a pint pot.
The North American approach of an organisation, conversing in English, can only result in imposing it's opinion on the rest of the world, the consequence will be similar to the US imposing democracy on other countries.
The largest population count is Chinese, what proportional representation do they have in this World Direct Democracy Movement.
This group has 47 members, what experience do they have, if one has to have an executive, one normally judges their suitability for the job on experience, not untested opinions.
47 members (from which countries), 180 countries x creeds/religions/cultures etc .......?? it does not add up to a World-ddm.
The justification for an organisation is North American, no strategy, it is bulldozer democracy, an expensive website, Wiki, BBS, adds up to bureaucratic bull shit i.e. all show and no substance.
One can do websites for free, I have several, so why do you want an executive to administer the money (which you do not have) to justify an organisation, again it does not add up.
The dialogue with Antonio is more useful to activists, ways tried, lessons learned, etc, it atleast shows ways that others can follow in engaging with the people, the ones this organisations forgets about.
I have learned some important lessons, which may, or may not be applicable elsewhere, the most important one is not to presume, I tried doing it by the theorists 'book', dialogue etc etc.
Met a brickwall, so I backed off and tried a different way, similar result.
I then took account of the apathy factor, if people believe that nothing will make any difference then it was up to me to dispell that perception hence doing the last one first.
It takes time for people to accept a different way of doing and thinking.
If one has the patience to wait, circumstances will occur that will have them realising the logic of doing it another way, hence, both a potential developer and the parish chairman realising a referendum could save a lot of time, money and trouble.
The essence of all this is - an organisation is of no use to me as an activist, to put it bluntly, it would be as much use as a chocolate fire guard.
If there is no change of thinking, I will use the exit door .... like I did with the previous WDDM, and for the same reasons.
The clock is ticking on your sell-by date.

Regards
Bernard