00863: Re: [WDDM] Fwd: ZNet Update & Sitrin book info

From: "Annette Jackson" <aja95799(at)bigpond.net.au>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 21:34:07 +1100
Subject: Re: [WDDM] Fwd: ZNet Update & Sitrin book info

Bruce,when l read the below material,it certainly gives great hope for the future,if anyone else has stories like this, please share them,
Cheers Martin Jackson

From: Michael Albert
Date: Dec 28, 2006 2:56 PM
Subject: ZNet Update &  Sitrin book info
To: znetupdates(at)zmail.zmag.org

Hello,

This is another free ZNet Update. You can add or remove addresses for receiving these updates at the top page of ZNet - www.zmag.org/weluser.htm

In this update we have a book interview with Marina Sitrin about her new book from AK Press, Horizontalism: Voices of Popular Power in Argentina which can be purchased through: Ak Press at http://www.akpress.org/2006/items/horizontalism
or Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/Horizontalism-Voices-Popular-Power-Argentina/dp/1904859585/sr=8-1/qid=1166891679/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-9632870-3394511?ie=UTF8&s=books

First we have the book interview, a usual feature of our updates when a ZNet writer has a new book out. Then we have some comments on the book and some excerpts.

Book Interview with Marina Sitrin

              (1)  Can you tell ZNet, please, what Horizontalism: Voices of Popular Power in Argentina is about? What is it trying to communicate?

Horizontalism: Voices of Popular Power in Argentina is an oral history of the autonomous social movements in Argentina since the popular rebellion in 2001. It reflects the voices of many dozens of people who are recreating their lives and communities using horizontal forms of social organization. These movements range from occupied and recuperated factories, arts and independent media collectives, indigenous communities, neighborhood assemblies, feminist and queer groups and unemployed workers movements.

This book explores what people are doing, what motivates them, how they are relating to one another, and how they have changed individually and collectively in the creation process. It is not so much a movement of new actions, but rather a movement of new social actors, new subjects, and new protagonists. So many in the movements speak of how they have changed as individuals and how their communities have changed, based on these new ways of organizing and creating.

The book shows, in people's own voices, that we can change our worlds, we are changing our worlds, and we can do so with love, trust, real democracy, horizontalism in this case, and autonomy.

One of the things that is so unique and inspiring about the movements is not just what they are doing and how they are doing it, but the tremendous diversity of those participating in the horizontal movements, spanning social and economic classes and geographic locations.

(2)  Can you tell ZNet something about writing the book? Where does the content come from? What went into making the book what it is?
This book comes from many years of working with people in the movements in Argentina. I first heard about the factory take-overs and ...............