00844: Re: decisions at wider levels

From: Doug Everingham <dnevrghm(at)powerup.com.au>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 17:39:36 +1000
Subject: Re: decisions at wider levels

Hi Richard,

It seems to me you have accepted the stakeholder-governed formula approved by
www.sociocracy.biz, and Dr Shann Turnbull, Principal,
International Institute for Self-governance, http://members.optusnet.com.au

-- Doug
===

hdr00844-tiff.gif

there are situations where implementation of decisions may take years or generations, including some law of the sea issues at world level, and local civic services like water supply, public libraries. education courses -- some of them requiring ongoing research and updating. Then the 'nested networks of stakeholders' may involve nearly whole of life career participants.The process must sometimes be more like public servant bureaucracies employing technical experts than treaty making, but whichever pattern of consultation is dominant there will remain a need for vigilance of the public and stakeholders, and for transparency and answerability of agents.

Hi Doug,

I have a section my book that discusses the issue of managing infrastructures and large development projects.

The 'treaty making' model has to do with major policy decisions, such as whether or not to build a rail network. In order to actually build a rail network, there needs to be some kind of agency chartered for that purpose.

Such an agency would need the equivalent of a board of directors and a management team. The management team and staff would operate like any bureaucracy, except that there would be a democratic process as regards working conditions, etc. The board of directors is responsible for policy decisions within the framework of its democratically determined charter. It is not necessary for the board of directors to be experts, and it is possible for its membership to change over time.

That is to say, the directors can be ordinary citizens acting as stakeholder-community delegates, and they can serve for a limited time. They have full access to all company records and sites, and they can call on any expert testimony they need.

back to you,
richard