00839: [WDDM] Re: Toward a WDDM Charter

From: Antonio Rossin <rossin(at)tin.it>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 17:14:13 +0100
Subject: [WDDM] Re: Toward a WDDM Charter

At 9:53 -0600 4-12-2006, Bruce Eggum wrote:
Toward a WDDM Charter.

Response to Richard, Mark and group,

I am concerned your "hosting team" which has no "structure" under
which to operate could be dictorial. The difference in a "hosting
team" and a "board" is that the Board would have limited power, be
required to have a referendum on SOME matters, and the membership
could use I&R to make "corrections".

The original reason for a "board" was because not enough people were
active, even in voting. Thus no business could be carried out, not

(snip)

Richard, and all

I agree with your statement below:

quote:
============>> Disagree: This is an attempt to impose priorities on people
from 'on high'. In addition it invites unnecessary divisiveness
over the choice of priorities. Furthermore, it encourages the
existence of a centralized government in order to enforce the
priorities."
=============endquote

Actually, Democracy does heavily suffer from the countless and
somehow obsessive attempts of corporate bureaucratism wanting
to set up their leadership as the chartered structure of democracy.

antonio

On 12/4/06, Richard Moore <<rkm(at)quaylargo.com>rkm(at)quaylargo.com> wrote:

1. Organizational Goals. We’d like to make a better world. One in
which all adults have equality under law, plus the four basic
freedoms: freedom of speech, freedom of religion (or more broadly,
freedom of conscience), freedom from want, and freedom from fear.

Disagree: This is an attempt to impose priorities on people from 'on
high'. In addition it invites unnecessary divisiveness over the
choice of priorities. Furthermore, it encourages the existence of a
centralized government in order to enforce the priorities.

1C. WDDM is dedicated to the study and education of direct
democracy. This option should allow tax-advantaged contribution
(under US law) to WDDM as an educational non-profit institution.

Agree: Democracy itself (without specific social / economic
programs) should be our focus, and WDDM doesn't need to take an
official, active part in initiatives that threaten tax status. Its
participants can do that wearing a different hat.

2. Organizational Methods - commitment to direct democracy

2A.WDDM will be an exemplar for direct democracy. As much as
possible, decision making power will flow from direct vote of the
membership.

OR

2B. WDDM will strive to implement direct democracy in its own
operations. However, in the initial organizational phase WDDM will
assign considerable responsibility to an executive committee.

Disagree: WDDM is an educational discussion forum, provided to all
participants by a hosting team. The hosting team is a self-selected
group who have taken the initiative to work together and facilitate
the forum. (thanks! :-) ) I support the team in working together in
whatever way suits them. If they are doing a good job, they will
listen to participant feedback and they will improve the quality of
the forum over time. My role, as a participant, is to (a) provide
feedback to the hosts, (b) participate in the discussion if it is
useful, (c) find another forum if the discussion is not useful.

3. Organizational Methods - encouraging discourse

3A. WDDM shall continue to maintain a BBS or WIKI to which all
members may post proposals or opinions. Many electronic BBS
systems are afflicted with the same problem: they provide high
visibility to the fastest and most aggressive multiple posters.
The executive board shall, early on, propose methods to calm this
problem, probably by making it easy for each BBS user to locate
input from voices that they value*.

OR

3B. WDDM shall continue to maintain a BBS or WIKI to which all
members may post proposals or opinions.

This is a tricky area. It is very difficult to maintain openness and
quality at the same time. It seems to me that experimentation will
be needed, an ongoing evolution of process.

As per my previous comments, I don't like the term 'executive
board'. I see it as a 'hosting team'. Certainly it is a good idea
for them to send out ideas, and get feedback from participants. But
in the end I support the team in using their own best judgement
about how to improve the forum. The value of the forum is not
measured by how happy the current participants are, but rather by
the long term growth in the quality of discussion.

One of the big 'divides' in our dialog about democracy has to do
with voting. I would be in favor of another email list, that is
devoted to discussion only of direct democracy, based on the
assumption that voting is unhelpful. On that list, postings in favor
of voting can be moderated out. On the existing list, we can
continue to debate voting methods, and the value of voting.

4. Membership

4A. Membership is limited to those who agree that governance would
be improved by expansion and facilitation of direct democracy,
deliberation and consensus. Active members must also commit to
review proposals and vote on motions posted on the WDDM website.

OR

4B. As above plus some language recognizing groups within WDDM.

Disagree: I think this approach is unnecessary, unworkable, and a
drain of forum energy, as per previous comments. Similarly, I would
dispense with all the proposed Business Rules.

---------------------

* (From Item 3A above)

Possible suggestions for regulating aggressive multiple postings include:

i) The BBS or WIKI shall support tools allowing each reader
to select voices that they wish to consult first.

ii) The BBS or WIKI shall provide a default, high priority
location for executive board review and recommendation on each
proposal.

iii) The WIKI shall automatically order postings, based
perhaps on a ‘poster score’ calculated from the average number of
readers per posting.

If the hosting team is willing to devote time and attention to
'pruning and tuning' the Wiki/BBS space, that is a great service to
all of us, for which we should be grateful. Again, experimental
evolution is called for.

I'd be in favor of the hosting team structuring the space somehow
around concepts and issues. There could be perhaps two categories of
entries: those considered 'useful' by the team and 'others', which
are either 'less useful' or 'not yet reviewed'. The 'useful' ones
could be always 'opened up' for viewing, while the 'others' could be
represented by a name & subject line, and could be viewed by
clicking on that line. This would allow contributors to post
whatever they want, while making it convenient for readers to ignore
the 'others' if they so choose. The team can delete any postings (at
review time) that are clearly off topic or offensive.

best regards,
richard
<http://cyberjournal.org>
--