00742: Re to Mirek Kolar and Pras Anand: [WDDM] Thoughts about our democracy (and a general ramble)

From: Filia den Hollander <holla(at)xs4all.nl>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 09:43:42 +0100
Subject: Re to Mirek Kolar and Pras Anand: [WDDM] Thoughts about our democracy (and a general ramble)

Hi Pras and Mirek,

I’d like to add something to the e-democracy discussion.

Electronic voting is a technical device, not a political system. Here in The Netherlands it recently came to the surface that our voting computers are open to fraud, and they have been removed (in the big cities) or replaced (in the small cities).
It is also worthwhile to note that Ireland had refused a couple of years ago to buy the electronic voting system manufactured by the Dutch. It wasn’t transparent enough how the hardware was composed and the Dutch refused to give that transparency.

This last information I have from Arjen Kamphuis (cc), who is up-to-date in IT matters. The first was recently in the news broadcasts.

Kind regards,
Filia den Hollander