00673: Re: [WDDM] CED (Contemporary Ecclesia of Demos) worked in the island of Rhodes again!

From: "George L. Kokkas Law Office" <geoko(at)otenet.gr>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 00:04:11 +0300
Subject: Re: [WDDM] CED (Contemporary Ecclesia of Demos) worked in the island of Rhodes again!

Thank you also Mark, for your moral and practical assistance!

Let me explain you a few details , about this event!
The whole event was a mixture of cultural and direct democratic elements, with the objective to give safe orders of people to the new
local Authorities of Rhodes Island (to be elected next October) about the priorities of policies that people request.
After a couple of short introductory speeches, we had a small theatrical play, satyrizing the contemporary political life and then we
begun the political event of the Ecclesia, with short speeches of local NGOs spokespersons, limited to 2 minutes maximum, giving the tempo
and the sense of isegoria (Equal time speaking) to the next citizen speakers.
These simple citizens argued and debated on the topics of the attached thematic(subject) voting sheet, first on the general entities (
environmental issues, Local Economy-Development, Cultural affairs, Relatiions between Authorities and Citizens, Social welfare,
Transportation issues and Working affairs) and then on special issues of each of the entities above (for example on the first entity the
proposals to be voted were :a) More Litter boxes , b) Parks in neighborhoods of Rhodes island, c) New Forests after Fires) as the audience
was voting on a climax from 0 (zero-not interested) to 4 (extreme Priority).
All the citizens participants had also the ability to propose other issues of their interest, than the prescribed and prepared by the
local NGOs issues.So, they voted for another general entity (Educational affairs) and a lot of special issues to be faced by the New Local
Authorities that will be elected next October.
Then, after collection of voting sheets, we had the chance to watch an excellent programme of ethnic songs and dances, as our Informatic
Team was working on the results of the voting, that were announced by the end of this direct democratic event!
It was the first time in contemporary Greece that we had a political event before elections, that faced the real problems of people
,instead of the faces of the candidates and representatives!
We are ready to support similal activities everywhere in the world!

George L. Kokkas
'Forum for Citizens' Democracy" -Coordinator

From: "George L. Kokkas Law Office" <geoko(at)otenet.gr>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:02:36 +0300

Dear DD colleagues,

I am proud to inform you that on July 14th, 2006, day of French
Revolution for Democracy, we succeeded to make DD happen!!
I coordinated the most serious event ever happened about Direct
Democracy in contemporary Greece. It was a gathering of the people
(Demos) of the island of Rhodes, as it happened in ancient times in
the Ancient amphitheater of the old town , who voted before their
local elections not for representatives, but on the major problems of
the island in eight different entities(environment, traffic problems
etc.) giving an order to all candidates to face their view, when
they will be elected. Our NGO (Forum for Citizens' Democracy)
organized the whole event with a big success, under the auspices of
local Authorities and NGOs.
Please give publicity to this important event, as it inspires us
for authentic Democracy!

George L.Kokkas