00603: WDDM site upgrade continues

From: <WDDM webmaster>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 02:23:36 -0600
Subject: WDDM site upgrade continues

Hello all!
I am almost done with this phase of the site upgrade.
The Forum can now speak to the user in 13 different languages (including all
the 6 official languages of the UN - well in the Arabic and Japanese there are
still some untranslated phrases, and some of my own additions to the Forum have
yet to be translated into most of the languages, but that would be gradually
rectified). Later, all other WDDM pages will be available in all site
languages. You are invited to go into your Control Center in the Forum and
click under Options on Forum Settings, and then you can choose on the left hand
side you preferred language of the Forum interface - after you set it, Forum
will always talk to you in this language when you return the next time.
Otherwise, an unlogged user can change the Forum language by clicking on the
language buttons on the main Forum page.

Both Wiki and Forum now use UTF-8 encoding which makes it possible for the
users to mix on the same Wiki page or in the same Forum posting any
scripts/alphabets known to computers and for which one has typing support
installed on their computers.
So if there will be interest, we can now starting setting up national
discussion forums in various languages in addition to English. For each such
Forum it would be good to have one moderator fluent in the given language.

I have managed to complete the full integration of Forum and Wiki. Now a
user login in Forum is recognized in the Wiki and vice versa. You can freely
move between the two, make your edits and posting simultaneously in Wiki and
Forum without having to login twice. Any updates of your settings in one area
are immediately available in the other (it might just be needed to
reload/refresh the Control Centrer/Settings pages to show them properly).

The new users are required in the first step of registration to give also
their real name and a short description of their relation to DD. I am not yet
sure how to best call this field in the registration form - I ask for your
advice. I tried "Your DD-related CV" and now "Your relation to Direct
Democracy", but very satisfied with either.
The last thing that needs to be programmed is the automatic creation of the
newly registered user's Wiki home page that will contain the information
initially entered on the registration form in the "My relation to DD" field.
After that the new user will be able to further edit. But there will be now
need to create it, and they do not wish to use the Wiki at all, we will at lest
have them in the list of all members at
http://www.world-wide-democracy.net/Wiki/MemberPages
Then I will have to update info on our "How to join us" page.

Wiki is still quite useful - see how our new member Martin Jackson has just
now this very hour posted a lot of information on his Wiki page at
http://www.world-wide-democracy.net/Wiki/MartinJackson

I invite you to try to login into the upgraded site soon, if you have not
done so yet, using the info I have been sending out recently. And test
everything, and let me know if there are still some problems, or some new bugs
that maybe have been introduced by the Forum-Wiki integration. You can even try
to register as new users - just use the user names such as "Test account", so I
can delete them later. Just to see whether everything would be clear to future
registrants, and point out things that need improvement.

See you soon on the site,