00445: Epistemological Revolution

From: Georges Metanomski <zgmet(at)wanadoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 00:49:33 +0100
Subject: Epistemological Revolution

RD chapter "Epistemological Revolution" has been updated
and stored in the temporary location for comments and
discussion:

http://members.fortunecity.com/georges/rdtests/AA_epistemological_revolution.htm

For convenience I copy it in Attachment

Georges.

Epistemological Revolution
--------------------------
Human being distinguishes himself from other living creatures
mainly by his reason. During his prehistory he applied it
unconsciously, just happening to be more ingenious than other
animals, without worrying about the why's and the how's of it.
Prehistory switches to history when reason becomes conscious,
aware of itself. For our culture this milestone corresponds
with the beginning of the Greek Philosophy.

Now, history appeared for a long time to be accidental. It
seemed to be governed by "Cleopatra's nose", by some king
happening to be more cunning than another, by sudden rain
making some road too muddy for artillery. In this state
history could be merely described, but not rigorously,
scientifically investigated.

First trial to approach it as a science is due to Marx, who
proposed the "means of production" or, as we would say today
"technology", as an objective criterion allowing to distinguish
among various historical epochs and to explain their
transitions.

However, this criterion, restricted to economy, indeed to its
part concerned with production, seems to narrow. Human being
is more than a mule turning in a treadmill, than a honey
gathering bee. Or, to use by anticipation RD terminology,
"technology" is "objective" and leaves the "subjective" term
of the Dichotomy "Human Situation" undetermined.

Therefore we propose to supplement it with a "subjective"
criterion, which we shall call "SPECIFIC DOMAIN" of human
Reason. In order to define it let's have a look at the
history starting with the origins of the Greek Philosophy.

At its very beginning, the intellectual interrogation was
restricted to one single domain: Philosophy. One started soon
to distinguish within it various sub_domains: ontology,
epistemology (theory of cognition), ethic, aesthetic, logic.
Nevertheless, they stayed parts of Philosophy and continued
to be approached with a unique, purely speculative
methodology. At the next step some domains got emancipated
and established themselves as independent disciplines with
proper methodology, usually more rigorous and experimental,
more scientific, than pure speculation. First of them were
MATHEMATICS, ASTRONOMY and POLITICS in Greece. Shortly
afterwards ETHIC established itself as LAW in Rome. Middle
Age saw the emancipation of THEOLOGY, with its proper
scholastic methodology (exceptionally not more scientific).
Renaissance started the emancipation of Objective Science
and the 19_th century that of Psychology and Logic, where by
"Logic" we understand traditional logic, that of Cantorian
Paradise, prior to the Crisis discussed in "Lost Paradise".

Current established view considers Logic as the last
emancipated domain and leaves to Philosophy its two remaining
domains: ONTOLOGY and EPISTEMOLOGY.

We define SPECIFIC DOMAIN as the last emancipated domain and
propose it as supplementary criterion of classification of
historical epochs. Consequently, each stable epoch will be
associated with a SPECIFIC DOMAIN and each transition with a
new domain raising claims to independence. Transitions may be
revolutionary, when the old SPECIFIC DOMAIN will not give up
and the new has to struggle for emancipation.

Thus, we may refer to Middle Age as to the epoch of THEOLOGY,
and to Renaissance as to OBJECTIVE SCIENCE revolution. Indeed,
the theological Middle Age used all available social and
political means to oppose the new scientific ideology. No
prior period saw as many stakes, no one had more appearances
of Middle Age than Renaissance. As a rule, the obsolete
SPECIFIC DOMAIN comes to its apogee when it is still socially,
but no more intellectually ruling. All established institutions
are still founded upon obsolete principles, the new domain
pervades via a few individuals such as Copernicus, Galileo,
Keppler and Leonardo da Vinci, who are persecuted and sometimes
murdered like Giordano Bruno; fanaticism and intolerance
propagate themselves through the masses. The old domain seems
to triumph just before abdicating.

Finally OBJECTIVE SCIENCE won and established itself as the
SPECIFIC_ DOMAIN of the epoch of Rationalism. Further
transitions followed. The limited scope of this chapter forces
us to skip them and to pass directly to the contemporary
situation.

As we have said above, Logic is the last officially established
domain. Unfortunately, the emancipated allegedly "scientific"
Logic become fundamentally anti-scientific. Boosted by unequaled
conceit onto the Olympus of transcendental "reality" it usurped
the god-like power to determine this "reality" with own logical
concepts and to impose it as the foundation of reason, of social
ideologies and of science.

In "reason" it culminated with Hegel's -So much the worse for
the facts-, when facts contradicted his ideas, as well as in his
"Dialectic" asserting that anything can be a "synthesis" of
"thesis" and "antithesis", of Absolute Being and Nothingness.

In social praxis this "reason" founded the ideologies of Lenin's,
Mao's, Hitler's and other Gulags.

In Science it took form of the transcendental mechanistic
determinism which, counting uniquely the Aether Theory, caused
the largest waste of time, resources, efforts and ingenuity in
the history of Science. ("Aether and Dogmatic Thinking").

We live officially in a "logical" world, ruled by this absolute,
transcendental, noumenalistic "Logic". "Logic" based Set Theory
is the official foundation of Mathematics, which, in turn claim
to be the most fundamental science. Human beings are classified,
discriminated and exterminated on the base of absolute "logical"
concepts, such as race, nation or religion.

Contrarily to this established opinion it is our thesis that:

WE LIVE CURRENTLY AMID THE EPISTEMOLOGICAL REVOLUTION.

According to our definition this means that EPISTEMOLOGY became
unofficially the SPECIFIC DOMAIN of our time, that the social,
scientific and technological development have revealed new
aspects of existence which cannot  be even formulated, let alone
solved with help of absolute "Logic", but require some other more
conform context. This context, the Applied EPISTEMOLOGY, or,
as Einstein called it the New Manner of Thinking (NMT), has
already been conceived by him while defining Relativity Theories
and is locally applied by small intellectual elite in chosen,
deepest, scientific domains, mainly in Physics. However, it's
applied there implicitly, without ever having been formulated as
an autonomous Inferencing System. Creative physicists don't need
it, it became their second nature. After Einstein, dealing with
Physical Models is nothing else than the NMT on the go. And,
perhaps surprisingly, Physics is the simplest of sciences. The
aura of complexity surrounding it in the eyes of laymen is due
to the relative complexity of its mathematical tools. However,
once having mastered them, one discovers that they are there
to express simply physical concepts and thus to render Physics
extremely simple.

Unlike Physics, the critical problems of human and social praxis
such as demography, ecology or globalization cannot be simplified
by mathematical formalisms and require explicit Inferencing
structures to be formulated, not to mention to be processed and,
hopefully, solved. In other terms, human and social praxis
require extension of the NMT, inherent in current Physics, over
the whole human Universe of Discourse, as well as its definition
as an autonomous Inferencing System.

That's what Einstein meant saying:

A NEW MANNER OF THINKING IS ESSENTIAL IF HUMANKIND IS TO SURVIVE

Relativistic Dialectic (RD) presented in this study endeavors to
explicate Einstein's NMT as the emancipated Applied Epistemology,
as an autonomous Inferencing System extended over the whole human
Universe of Discourse and applicable for formulating and
processing of critical human and social issues.

It's "Relativistic", because the NMT postulates relativity of
human knowledge.

It's "Dialectic" because Relativity implies necessarily a basic
dialectic or polar structure of apparently opposed, but in fact
complementary terms or poles.

RD has, of course, nothing to do with its unfortunate homonym,
the Hegel's "Dialectic" playing in its ivory tower of extreme
conceit with Absolute Beings and Nothignesses.

Finally, the term REVOLUTION applies to our context literally:
contemporary fanatical discrimination and extermination of
hundreds of millions making Renaissance and Inquisition look
like children play is one of social manifestations of "Logic"
based dogmatic ideologies defending their obsolete establishment.