00403: Re: Draft. Statement on the European Constituent Process

From: Leopoldo Salgui <lsalgui(at)demopunk.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 23:17:18 +0200
Subject: Re: Draft. Statement on the European Constituent Process

Dear Ted,
I would like you reconsider your proposal to change the word "Constituent" by
the word "Democratic".

The word "Constituent" identifies processes related to the generation of a new
Constitution. For instance, it is usual the expressions, "Constituent
Assembly", "Constituent Process".

Indeed, the European elites are trying to set up a new Constitution. The title
of the treaty among states is clear, it name is "Treaty establishing a
Constitution for Europe". The political establishment and its media uses,
without embarrassment, the expression "European Constitution" to refer to the
treaty.

Now, a part of the European democracy activism are claiming for a real
Constituent Process, a process starting from an elected assembly and ending
to a binding referendum.

Regards, Leo

El Jueves, 15 de Septiembre de 2005 17:16, Ted Becker escribió:
I love the document and wholeheartedly support it. There is just one
little change I wish you would make. The word "Constituent" is so
elitist...since you mention referenda, citizens initiatives, and direct
democracy in the text, can't you use the word "Democratic" in the title
instead? It's more understandable, easier to swallow and sexier.

Ted Becker
=================>
lsalgui(at)demopunk.net 09/14/05 5:55 PM >>>

Dear friends,
during the 2nd Int. Conference on DD, to be held in Prague the next
weekend,
from Spain we would like to propose the following statement to be signed
by
the Conference or at least by the interested people.

I submit the draft/proposal to allow an easy debate during the
Conference
http://demopunk.net/en/intern/europe/StatementEuropeanConstituentProcess.pdf

Regards, Leo