00354: Re: [cicdd] Rossin to Baker (2/2)

From: "John Baker" <bakerjohnj(at)hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:56:44 -0400
Subject: Re: [cicdd] Rossin to Baker (2/2)

I am careful with the 'fascist' label. It is not a positive one and
therefore I believe it counteracts our fundamental argument that everyone
benefits under DD.

The way I look at it is that DD is a form of fascism. The might of the
majority makes right. When the majority are obstructed fascism suffers as
does capitalism. I realize this sound contradictory to PC sentiments but if
you read literature such as Mein Kampf you will see how fascist arguments
fit the idea of the right of the majority to impose themselves on the
minority. Only when this right is abridged does fascism become an argument
for oppression and intolerance for those it defines as impeding this right.

The same argument applies for authoritarianism. Authority is just when it is
democratically assigned. Any other political situation demands authority be
implemented by brute force. This not an ideal. It simply is a statement of
fact.

Therefore DD accomadates both sides of the political spectrum. Those who see
the danger in absolute power can be comforted by the fact that power is
wielded by a DD imposed elite. Those who desire authority and order can also
be comforted by a political system which is respected by the majority.

There is ZERO need to antagonize anyone in the argument for DD. DD is a WIN
WIN situation for everyone. Both liberal and conservatives, the haves and
the have-nots are empowered by DD. If we make the DD argument this way, it
becomes unimpeachable. The only argument left against it is a pure distrust
of humanity in general which can be easily overcome by positivity.. ie the
lack of hate mongering.

From: Antonio Rossin <rossin(at)tin.it>
To: cicdd(at)yahoogroups.com
CC: wddm@world-wide-democracy.net
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 19:07:47 +0200

Dear Franz, and forum members

Yesterday I was in a great hurry, so my reply to your sharp
question has been too hastened. Sorry for that. I shall deepen
my answer a bit more.

I think, during all these five years, we have spent lots of time
trying to define Democracy, but we did not try to define what
does "people" mean, whom we point out to as "the People".

In my opinion, "the people" are *indifferentiated* humans
who, in a democracy context, are empowered to vote.

Within that same context, among them, there are also some
differentiated humans who have been given -- or who give
themselves -- a political function over "the indifferentiated
people". I mean, there are humans who are in office for
some political purpose over "the people". Since they are far
fewer than "the people", let's conveniently adjudge them "elite".

Now, it does not matter, who these officials are, and how
they have come to perform a sociopolitical function -- like
initiating a policy, or stating out a constitutional rule -- over
the indifferentiated people. They are an elite of top-siders,
and all what they will do *after their own initiative* over
the people, is top-down. This is IMHO the typical case of
the so-called "Representative Democracy" where the Reps
have the first and the last say on any policy.

Of course, also in our wanted DD arrangement, some
officials have to be chaired up by the bottom people in
order to implement policies and set up constitutional rules
-- but in which the people hold the first say, i.e., the right
of Initiative, and the last say, i.e., the right of controlling
every political issue via referendum.

Coming to us. We, who have come to implement DD
discussion lists such as cicdd or WDDM, and who gave
ourselves the aim -- mission of getting *the People* into
the DD sociopolitical arrangement, by doing so are not
indifferentiated People, but an elite of activists. Therefore,
all what we do, all the policies - rules we may decide, are
to be adjudged *top-down* issues, since in doing so we
are an elite of activists who are setting up these policies
and rules over the People .

One might say that this difference is irrelevant, since we
are implementing policies and rules that give the People
the first and the last say on everything. Btw, this point
as been the kernel of endless discussions, and conflicts,
up to now.

I insist that this difference is relevant, because the People
are accustomed to assume the officials as *the authority*.
Therefore, when a policy is dropped onto them by some
official -- be the latter an elected politician or self-appointed
activist -- the People are incline to approve that policy-rule
not because it fits their territory-linked, bottom-up expressed
needs, but because they have been given it by the authority.

The risk is great, IMHO, because this way the People do
approve "democratically" policies and rules being delivered
top-down to them by some authoritative opinion-makers and
consent-builders, not by themselves.

Therefore, IMHO, we DD activists must prevent the People
from the risk of assume any top-down given policy as really
democratic. It cannot be such, since it has been dropped from
top-down by initiative of an elite only - be the latter made with
the best committed DD activists -- ourselves included.

This Is why I always opposed, and still will do, as much
as I can, those of us who claimed that the policies they
decide are policies made by the people bottom-up. No
such policy can be adjudged grassroots bottom-up, thus
DD, because it has not been initiated by the People, but
by a distinguished elite of DD activists who put themselves
in office -- even though with the best DD purposes and
knowledge.

This is why I suggest us to call "fascist" all those officials
-- be they elected Reps or self-appointed activists -- who
pretend the policy they initiate and decide to be bottom-up,
as if these policies had been made "by the People".

Hoping this helps,

antonio

At 10:02 +0200 16-06-2005, Antonio Rossin wrote:
IMHO, the elite are the officials, be them politicians or
lobbyists or also burecrauts or activist volunteers, that
does not matter.
The people are the commoner ones "in the streets"

antonio

At 9:45 +0200 16-06-2005, Franz Isemann wrote:
Dear Antonio,
you wrote among other things:

<<To me, at this stage DD means some committed volunteers
to prepare the fittest communication context in which the
people -- not an elite -- may have the first and the last say
on everything>>

Can you explain the definition of the people as opposed to an elite ??
Are not the people also an elite ? Are not the elite also people ?
I am still having difficulties with your language, sorry.
Franz