00304: Re: [cicdd] EU Referendum and EU Constitution

From: Georges Metanomski <zgmet(at)wanadoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 15:23:47 +0200
Subject: Re: [cicdd] EU Referendum and EU Constitution

richard(at)cyberjournal.org wrote:

C THOMSON wrote:

> So, I have to question the "European project". I am all in
> favour of people living in peace with each other. But I do
> wonder whether a project designed mainly to increase GDP
> and maximise profits for eternity is really what human
> beings were designed for.

Hi Chris,

Its nice to hear from someone who is willing recognize the
neo-economics issue!

I'd like to comment on the issue of "living in peace".

I suggest that "avoiding European warfare" has been the most
hypocritical of the propaganda reasons given for European
unification. Belief in this myth is due to a misunderstanding of what
has caused European wars in the past few centuries. Each of those wars
has been the result of competition for imperial territories. WWI was
basically about who was going to gobble up the declining Turkish
Empire, while WWII was basically about Germany wanting to conquer
Russia (i.e., "lebensraum"). It is instructive to notice that
territorial adjustments within Europe after each war have been
relatively minor, while big territorial adjustments took place on
other continents.

The point here is that after WWII, with the establishment of the Pax
Americana regime, the dynamics that generated European warfare were
removed. European corporations were now able to invest and expand on a
worldwide basis, without a need to defend imperial territories. There
has been no possibility of European warfare (among what were the
'great powers' that is) since WWII - EU or no EU.

rkm
Please, have a look at "Pax Americana" in
http://members.fortunecity.com/georges/
There are 5 chapter-files: WW2, Vietnam, Israel, Kosovo, Jihad.
Most pertinent to the issue is, of course WW2, but I believe that
Jihad is most important for us currently. It has been written
before the Iraq campaign (not war, just a campaign in the current
WW3 Jihad war) and should be continued with a chapter "Iraq",
which I will soon write if Allah permits.
Georges.