00296: Re: EU consolidation

From: richard(at)cyberjournal.org
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 17:39:31 +0100
Subject: Re: EU consolidation

I find it hard to understand whey no one else on this list takes seriously the neoliberal program, as regards the EU, and EU consolidation.

Many reservations have been expressed about this particular constitution, as not being necessarily the best way forward. Does it not strike
you as significant that all the mainstream parties and media were coming out strong for this particular constitution? Can you not see that
the actual program being pushed, sub rosa, is precisely the bad parts of the constitution?

I'm sure you've read the various reports about WTO decisions over-ruling national health regulations. It has been perhaps more of an issue
in the USA and Canada so far, for example with fuel additives. Don't you realize that when the WTO is unleashed in Europe you will find
that the current progressive slant of the EU will be no more? Currently, as compared to some national governments, the EU is perceived as
'civilizing force', toward better green & civil-rights laws, etc. Can't you see that this is simply a seduction down the garden path?

rkm