00140: Re: WDDM future

From: "Ted Becker" <becketl(at)auburn.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 09:21:33 -0500
Subject: Re: WDDM future

Hi Filia:

I have been reading your dispatches. You sound like you really care
and try hard. So, I'll answer you directly on this.

If I remember correctly, their website is www.citizensassembly.bc.ca If
it isn't that, tell me and I'll find it. But you can just Google
"British Columbia Citizens Assembly" and get to their website. It's a
helluva model. They pretty much ignore me, but I don't ignore them. I
will have a big article on them up on the web on May 6 in my new online
publication, The Journal of Public Deliberation (another article on
what's going on in Porto Alegre, another in West Australia). Since you
don't know about it, do go find out and I'm sure you'll be impressed.
It's a state of the art application of how to put deliberative democracy
and direct democracy together....I'd say as good as the Irish/N.Ireland
transnational referenda on the Good Friday Accords.

As for Porto Alegre...I'm just now getting to work with a prof at U of
Toronto who is studying many of the offshoots of Porto Alegre
Participatory Budgeting (inclulding one in Montevideo, Uruguay)...and
when I get more info on that I'll be glad to share it with you. He is
focusing in on how empowering they are to the individual citizen...not
on the impact of them on policy and planning.

As you can tell from my last email to everyone, I think you folks in The
Netherlands are developing a Jungian collective subconscious on national
direct democracy....just hang in there....it's coming....and you will
play an important part in it.

Ted.
=========