WDDM Home DISCUSSION ON HOW TO PROMOTE DIRECT (TRUE) DEMOCRACY

WDDM Forum : Executive Board Proceedings

WDDM Executive Board will post all its dealings in this forum for the scrutiny of the members.  
Goto: Forum ListMessage List• New Topic • Search • Log In
Subject: Heads up on an upcoming WDDM concern - Elections Authority
Posted by: mantell (IP Logged)
Date: June 02, 2007 01:07PM

I’m sending this to the WDDM Executive Board Communications forum with the expectation that it will be forwarded automatically to the executive board plus all candidates for the executive board in the recent election.

I think we need procedures to deal with election issues. Example issues include:
- Should a motion be considered a business motion (requiring a simple majority vote for passage) or a charter amendment (requiring a 2/3 majority).
- Who won? or Did the motion pass?
- What forms of voting are appropriate for decision making? We’d want to keep in mind the WDDM charter commitment to experimentation and leadership in direct democracy,
- Election irregularities will inevitably occur. For a given election were the irregularities significant or not?

The executive board probably has responsibility to carry out this function under Article 11 of the charter. On the other hand, in many progressive nations, this role is carried out by an electoral tribunal which has substantial powers and is composed of well-respected activists. Regardless, we should figure out how to fill this need before we need it.

What do youall think? Would anyone like to propose a draft plan? I note that Mirek has performed this function for WDDM of late. Just to start some thinking, I propose that the executive board ask Mirek to continue his electoral tribunal responsibilities till we adopt something more formal. Until this delegation is formalized via charter amendment, electoral tribunal decisions would still require adoption by the board.

Mark Antell

Options: Reply To This Message • Quote This Message
Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message

Subject Views Written By Posted
  Subject: Heads up on an upcoming WDDM concern - Elections Authority 377 mantell 06/02/2007 01:07PM
  Re: Subject: Heads up on an upcoming WDDM concern - Elections Authority 212 BrEggum 06/03/2007 11:27AM
  Re: Subject: Heads up on an upcoming WDDM concern - Elections Authority 315 mantell 06/03/2007 04:50PM
  Re: Subject: Heads up on an upcoming WDDM concern - Elections Authority 221 BrEggum 06/03/2007 05:29PM
  Re: Subject: Heads up on an upcoming WDDM concern - Elections Authority 233 WebMaster 06/10/2007 10:00PM
  Re: Subject: Heads up on an upcoming WDDM concern - Elections Authority 206 BrEggum 06/10/2007 10:54PM

Get Firefox!       Powered by Phorum.       PHP