WDDM Home DISCUSSION ON HOW TO PROMOTE DIRECT (TRUE) DEMOCRACY

WDDM Forum : Proposals and Initiatives

Any member can post here proposals concerning WDDM (its function, mission, goals, organization). 
Goto: Forum ListMessage List• New Topic • Search • Log In
My latest initiative
Posted by: RoyDaine (IP Logged)
Date: January 11, 2008 12:52PM

Good evening everyone,
In many of the threads here at WDDM, there is mention of the need to start from the ground up. There is mention of the media being in the hands of 'them' and thus against the idea of DD.

Democrates has mentioned the need to get all of the people talking at one place.

My initiative is an attempt to address these issues.

I have today emailed all my local councillors, asking for their response to a mini-interview, which I will publish in the relevant section of myverdict.net. For those interested, you'll find my local pages by visiting the UK site, then England, Merseyside, Sefton.

As you can see by the text of the maily below, there is nothing too controversial in the questions. The aim is to get them to respond. They should do, by rights, with me being a constituent and asking perfectly valid questions about their stance.

If I can get a substantial response, the said views of the councillors will be a newsworthy item, with the possible exposure on local radio or in the local press.

This will then hopefully generate site visitors and comments. If that can be done at a local level, no doubt some users will be moved to repeat the process outwards and upwards.

The whole idea is to get as many people as possible involved. We may find out there is virtually no desire for DD. Hopefully not.

You may want to visit and make your own views known on the questions asked. Anyway here's the text of the maily.

Dear Sir,
I have created and run [www.myverdict.net] , an exercise in direct democracy, a community website for every community.

As a resident of Sefton, I am writing to all Sefton councillors, in the hope that you will all respond to a few questions regarding your thoughts on direct democracy.

I will publish responses or otherwise, completely unedited, in the Sefton section of myverdict.net and allow users to post comments.

For the purposes of this 'interview', I will give a general description of what I consider to be direct democracy. I realise of course, that direct democracy can mean different things to different people and I am not suggesting that this definition is the only or ideal model. It will however give a basis for discussion.
In addition, this interview does not imply that there is anything wrong with the present system of local government. It is merely an exploration of ideas.

Description
Direct democracy implies that the constituents of a given community have the opportunity to fully participate in the formulation of policy and in the formulation and enactment of the laws that bind them. It implies an acceptance of the responsibity for the consequences of said policy and laws.

Question 1.

Would you agree that the present system of local government, consists of electing councillors, who then have the power to make decisions on behalf of their constituents.

Question 2.

Would you agree that, notwithstanding previous experience, election to office, does not of itself, confer any extra ability in leadership, decision-making etc on the person elected.

Question 3.

Practical details aside, have you any objection to the idea that all constituents should be able to partake in the formulation of policy and lawmaking.

Question 4.

Can you give us your thoughts on direct democracy in general, be it this or any other model.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I hope you can also find the time to respond.

Best Regards

Roy Daine

Options: Reply To This Message • Quote This Message
Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message

Subject Views Written By Posted
  My latest initiative 1107 RoyDaine 01/11/2008 12:52PM
  Re: My latest initiative 568 BrEggum 03/09/2008 10:47PM
  Re: My latest initiative 649 RoyDaine 03/10/2008 03:52AM

Get Firefox!       Powered by Phorum.       PHP