WDDM Home DISCUSSION ON HOW TO PROMOTE DIRECT (TRUE) DEMOCRACY

WDDM Forum : Proposals and Initiatives

Any member can post here proposals concerning WDDM (its function, mission, goals, organization). 
Goto: Forum ListMessage List• New Topic • Search • Log In
Conscience-based political system
Posted by: PVR (IP Logged)
Date: August 01, 2007 05:04AM

I have indicated in the course of several of my posts how a conscience-based political system can be ushered in. In fact WDDM has helped in improvising the original plan I have mentioned in my blog: [musingsonpartylessdemocracy.blogspot.com] . But let me update and summarize here what I have in mind:

1) The model of Roy Baine's [www.myverdict.net] is a good starting point. He has painstakingly collected names of about 140 countries, the primary divisions (states) of each of these countries and the secondary divisions of each of these primary divisions. Any person on earth belonging to one of these localities can thus express himself regarding matters concerning his/her area. I would suggest that we prepare a similar list but the names should be that of the constituencies at the state, district and sub-district levels so that the views expressed by voters of a particular constituency can consolidate and pave the way for action at the local level, either directly or through pressure exerted on the elected representative of that constituency (in terms of the prospects of him getting reelected or recalled if such a law is eventually passed). An example of exerting pressure of similar nature being already tried is given in the following link: [www.alliance21.org]

Thus WDDM can be a platform for people to make their voice heard. The members who register themselves at WDDM can express on what they they would like to see happening with respect to their locality/state/nation on issues that concern them. Similarly they can express dissatisfaction on issues that affect them. Thus the individual's conscience is made the centre of all activity and not the views of a small minority belonging to the political or other elite classes.

2) In order to add weightage to the views of the people it should be made clear that if the members of a particular area feel that the elected representatives are failing in their task, then the voters would join together in the next ensuing election to campaign for the candidate (either an independent or belonging to a political party that believes in conscience-based governance) whom they believe would seriously take note of the people's views expressed on the WDDM (and other such platforms).

3) Eventually the above steps can lead to a situation where 'conscience-based governance' through 'partyless mechanism within the elected house' can be made into a law if the people so desire. The political parties would still exist but would be confined to promoting their particular ideology outside the elected house, having no role in actual governance.

4) Since 'rule by representatives' even when 'partyless mechanism within the elected house' becomes operational is still not rule by people in its absolute sense, the final step would be tapering down the role of representatives to the extent possible, with newer technologies enabling this. The first 3 steps would facilitate this goal.

The above step wise approach would allow freedom of thought to the people and would allow increasing degree of activism towards truer democracy depending on the need of the locality and the way the political parties respond to the challenge. Political parties and independent politicians would find that getting themselves registered at the WDDM and adopting the principle of 'conscience-based governance' would be advantageous to them. NGOs fighting for various social causes would find that supporting the WDDM by registering themselves in it would be of great help in promoting their respective causes.

The global approach of WDDM would be an advantage since the possible down-side of adopting 'conscience-based governance' to individual national economies in terms of losing competitiveness would be balanced by similar changes occurring everywhere. The global approach naturally would add to the appeal and credibility of 'conscience-based governance' to the common man.

There is vast scope of further improvement of the above proposal. I&R Tools like Enitiatives can be integrated to facilitate deliberation and decision making by the people. WDDM can thus provide a global web-based platform to inspire and usher in true democracy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2007 06:50PM by WddmAdmin.

Options: Reply To This Message • Quote This Message
Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message

Subject Views Written By Posted
  Conscience-based political system 807 PVR 08/01/2007 05:04AM
  Re: Conscience-based political system 397 MiKolar 09/04/2007 06:57PM
  Re: Conscience-based political system 371 PVR 09/05/2007 05:04AM
  Re: Conscience-based political system 389 koikaze 09/08/2007 01:23PM
  Re: Conscience-based political system 381 PVR 09/09/2007 03:19AM
  Re: Conscience-based political system 369 koikaze 09/09/2007 06:07AM
  Re: Conscience-based political system 355 RoyDaine 09/20/2007 08:50AM
  Re: Conscience-based political system 361 PVR 09/26/2007 08:14PM
  Re: Conscience-based political system 353 RoyDaine 09/27/2007 12:53AM