WDDM Home DISCUSSION ON HOW TO PROMOTE DIRECT (TRUE) DEMOCRACY

WDDM Forum : Global Democracy

Forum for global issues (world-wide democracy/government, world citizenship) 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage List• New Topic • Search • Log In
draft Direct Democracy Initiative and Binding Referendum
Posted by: BrEggum (IP Logged)
Date: August 03, 2010 03:25PM

Direct Democracy Initiative and Binding Referendum [draft]

Direct Democracy is the concept where the people have control of their government, can make law, change law, amend and change their constitution, recall elected officials, make policy and procedures for their community of jurisdiction etc.

Although the Representative Democracy we have generally works well, there are times the people would like to initiate their proposals without leaders, lobbyist’s or party interference.

This proposal follows the Swiss method of Initiative and Binding Referendum. [I&BR] The reason I like it is because it is simple, provides the procedure so each person can make Initiatives and vote on them. An Initiative may be submitted by any citizen of the jurisdiction although it may have been constructed by a group of people. Town, City, County, State, Nation each have their own jurisdiction. Each jurisdiction makes its own procedures. Some Canton’s in Switzerland have I&BR, others do not. The Swiss Nation itself has I&BR.

An initiative describes why the initiative is needed, [purpose] the procedures or process necessary to accomplish it and the anticipated result. The cost could also be calculated.

The Initiative is than advertised so many people can consider it and approve or disapprove. Providing a consensus of approval, generally .1% of the participants in the last general election, the Initiative would be included in the next General Election.

If approved in the Election the Initiative would be immediately implemented. The Binding Referendum makes the peoples decision final.
A double majority can be requested, that is a majority of the Canton’s / State’s approve the initiative as well as a majority of the general population. [popular vote]

I hope this draft can be useful for anyone wanting to write I&BR for your own jurisdiction. Of course you would have to bring your I&BR initiative to your jurisdiction and process it in your jurisdiction.

Bruce Eggum Wisconsin USA
www.doinggovernment.com

Options: Reply To This Message • Quote This Message

Get Firefox!       Powered by Phorum.       PHP