WDDM Home DISCUSSION ON HOW TO PROMOTE DIRECT (TRUE) DEMOCRACY

WDDM Forum : DD News

Forum on news on progress of democracy anywhere in the world. 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage List• New Topic • Search • Log In
A vague idea on how to implement DD
Posted by: RoyDaine (IP Logged)
Date: September 22, 2007 11:46PM

Hi Y'all,
I woke up this morning with this idea in my head. I've not given it any thought but I need to get it down on paper before I forget it.

myverdict.net, as some of you know caters for every inhabited country. At present, a lot of countries are further divided into second and third division levels. I have mentioned elsewhere on WDDM that I'm about to expand the site, but for what I propose, I will need help.

I suggest that, starting with the major, English speaking democratic nations, USA, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc. the levels are extended down to the lowest admin division.

Each lowest level is seeded with the proposition:- We the people demand to be consulted.( obviously it has to be slightly expandedbut kept concise).

If enough publicicty can be generated, it should be able to generate a majority in some admin level somewhere.(The lowest admin division in the UK, for instance, is the 'Ward' which averages 70,000 constituents, though I'm sure there must be smaller ones).

Once a majority is achieved, the relevant representative is deluged with emails etc, demanding that He/She take note of the proposition and act accordingly or be prepared to lose their seat. I would assume if a majority can be reached, that same majority can be persuaded to take part in the email campaign.

Within a space of time we will have representatives at the lowest levels, who are independant and committed to DD, arguing our case in council meetings etc. Once a constituency sees another who has a DD councillor, representing their constituents views on everything, then that first constituency should hopefully want to be part of the process.
As DD representatives are elected, the precise mechanisms can be debated as to how it will work and gradually put in place.

If anybody thinks this idea has merit, I will expand further on ways you can help.
Regards
Roy

Options: Reply To This Message • Quote This Message
Re: A vague idea on how to implement DD
Posted by: Talias (IP Logged)
Date: January 12, 2008 02:09AM

New to this forum please excuse my neglect for this message to be answered.

I come from Australia and after thinking to myself for a long time on direct democracy in our system, we need a political party who will represent direct democracy in our highest political body "Parliment".

Australia is a Federalised nation and just as the US's Congress exists we have parliment. Each represented area (electorate) is aproximatly 70,000- 80,000 voters which will recive 1 representative each.

I want to create a party that is responcible for direct democracy in our political institution/s of State and Federal Governments.

Proposal 1: (Democratic Governance)

Voters in electorate vote in Direct Democracy Representitive;

Representitive creates an online webpage that administers everyone in the electorate on the electorial role to vote for bills of parliment.

Each question will be yes or no.

55% swing one way or the other must occour for the member to vote on public's viewpoint

at least 55% of the voting population must be accounted for. eg: 44,000 of 80,000 voters

If this does not occour the representitive must decide themselves with the will of their political party.

Proposal 2: (CIR)

The representitive must allow any proposal/reform to be put forth to the electorate in the form of a question as outlined in Proposal 1; as long as their is atleast 10% written support from eligible voters within that electorate.

Proposal 3: (Accountability)

The representitive must ensure that his/her seat in parliment comes under public scrunity each year by proposing the question of weither or not the representative should remain in their seat.

The conditions placed should be the same as Proposal 1 but unless 55% or greater of the voters vote and vote to remove the representitive, the representitive should remain for the next year.

If popular support is not acheived, then the representitive must volintarily resign.

PS. I need any and all support possible from any Australians who are able to help out particularly if they live in Melbourne.

Thanks

Posted by: BrEggum (IP Logged)
Date: March 10, 2008 12:17AM

I from the US and wish you luck on this endeavor.
I suggest developing a peoples Assembly which would gather people to discuss and Initiate proposals for the government. This usually takes a great many people and if you have them on an email list you can call on them.
All the Beat, Bruce

Bruce Eggum Wisconsin USA
www.doinggovernment.com

A vague idea on how to implement DD
Posted by: Tobuz (IP Logged)
Date: August 12, 2008 01:10PM

Hi there, a message from Italy.
I believe it is a mistake to keep your efforts confined into a forum, where only a few people debate on theoretical matters.
We have started a DD movement in Italy ( www.democrazia-federale.it ) with the aim to slowly educate citizens to take back political power into their hands and take it away from existing political parties, all of them we consider corrupt and actually working against the people.
We made no efforts to design a system or an organization...actually we have no program...our program is 'We shall make all and only what the people wants'.

Basically we just propose that every resident citizen can register proposals about his town matters, and only the ones most voted from the citizens will be realized.
There will be no chiefs, or presidents...the people itself will appoint some citizen...not necessarily always the same ones...just to check that the people choices are realized.
We make no theoretical discussions...we fight outside of the party system and against it...we shall not be satisfied until the influence of established political parties will eventually be eliminated and the government will eventually make just want the people wants.
Keep doing good things, do not give up
Tobuz

Posted by: MiKolar (IP Logged)
Date: March 21, 2009 06:15PM

Hi Tobuz,

I like your approach (no real structure, no chiefs, or presidents, ...; no predefined program, only what the people want).
Are you already able to comment about your experience, successes? Have you managed to achieve something since you started DF?
Second, you suggest that such an approach should be applied also here in WDDM. Do you have any practical suggestions how to go about it, how to start it?

Mirek

mk, [democracy.mkolar.org]

Posted by: BrEggum (IP Logged)
Date: December 20, 2009 07:45AM

I agree we need to involve the people more and make it easy for them to participate. However the people must have a platform to speak. That is what WDDM can do. We can provide a simple moderated [to eliminate spam and foul language] place people can meet to talk. Of course people want to make decisions, the most popular initiatives brought forth etc. Thus a basic method to do that is necessary. The platform would be non-partisan simply a place to post.

Let's get talking.
Bruce

Bruce Eggum Wisconsin USA
www.doinggovernment.com

Get Firefox!       Powered by Phorum.       PHP